My grandfather is a storyteller.

He always has been. He and my grandmother are frequently heading on road trips in their Mercedes wagon to Idaho, Utah, California and Washington to visit some old friends from his ministry days or neighbors from their former cities they still keep in touch with.

I guess as a minister you really are in the business of telling stories, but after all these years his reports of their travels, who they meet and what they've eaten, or his monthly ministry "blue sheets," he never ceases to amaze me.

The past few days, they've been visiting one of his cousins whom he was very close to as a child and is dying of cancer. Here's his report from last night. Jean is my grandma and Bob is the cousin.

"Jean and I returned to the hospital for a "good night" visit. We spoke to him and softly sang the chorus I mentioned in the last message. Then we sang a bit of "Good Night Irene." Then Jean sang a bit of "Somewhere over the Rainbow." Bob relaxed and simply stopped breathing without a stir.

We were there until the doctor came by for a final check and the nurse called Evalie.
Grieving began at the news of the severity of his illness. It continues and will continue, but all can be thankful that the great storm is over.

We suggest you sing your own songs, get out a photo of Bob, light a candle, write a poem or a remembrance, open a bottle of champagne and lift a toast with some friends, telling of who Bob was in your life and some special memories.

Let us be present to one another, especially those who feel Bob's absence the most.
He was our number one cousin (out of 11!). He'll always be number one. Bless him on his way.

I'll let you know of any plans.

For the Moment..."


This email caught me as a most peaceful way one's life could end. With friends and family around singing soft melodies. Beyond that, I feel truly lucky that my 75+ year old grandparents are still spry, active, healthy and happy individuals. I can only dream to be so lucky.

My boot camp instructor keeps announcing that we're doing specific strength, cardio or yoga moves because he's planning on being limber without being creeky at age 90. I say, there's something to that. My grandparents ran well into their 50s and then began walking in their 60s. Most days they try to fit in four miles, with an additional weight lifting class twice a week.

So I think in the end there will be some benefit to all this time we spend keeping our bodies and minds healthy. Just wanted to pass on some words from the wise!

P.S. What's the most unconventional race you've run? Mine would have to be Steve's 10K Run in Michigan because of the variation between road, golf course, trail and back to road. A close second would be the Hood to Coast relay because it's 24hrs of pure insanity! Click here for my 2007 recap and here for the 2009 recap.

Comments

Amber said…
How cool that your grandparents ran for so long!

My great-grandma rode her bike around town until she was 80 years old! She's now almost 87 and in remarkably good shape for a woman of that age. I hope to run/exercise as long as I can so I can be limber and healthy when I get old :)
Anonymous said…
I second Amber - that's awesome/amazing that they are still so active, happy, and healthy. clearly you are surrounded by strong role models and *very* wise and caring grandparents...

Most unconventional race? One I sprung on myself - two *different* 10Ks in one day. That was pretty random and fun...and I felt pretty awesome when both were said and done! ;) I'd LOVE to do a relay sometime though, definitely sounds insane and awesome!
Amber-that's so cute about your great gma! I can just see a little old lady on her bike w/ a basket. :)

Trials-yeah, two 10ks in one day is pretty crazy, especially bc it isn't necessarily a short distance and you run each at a good clip.
What a beautiful way for one to pass onto the next world. Your grandparents sound like such gems! My grandpa enjoyed a pretty healthy, active lifestyle until he passed last year at the age of 84. My grandma is still alive and she walks around 3 miles every day. I think she is going to live to like 100! She is so healthy & spry! I hope I am like her when I am that age!

Popular Posts