Prized Possession

There are many things that are nice to have. Things I swoon at every time I put them on...a pair of earings, a Michael Stars shirt, a lived in pair of Sevens. But those things aren't necessity, I simply like them...a lot.

After getting out of work early from our staff retreat, I began racing around to complete a myriad of errands for a BBQ manfriend and I are hosting tomorrow. After dumping everything at home, I headed off to running with my running gear in my gym bag that I had packed this morning.

Foolish me had forgot a female runner's most prized possession...the sports bra. I can't run 1/4 mile without one. Sure, I could run around a bit in jeans or the wrong shoes, but you won't see me running around without a sports bra unless I'm running across the street or being chased by a bad guy.

And of course, this morning in my rush, I couldn't find the most supportive one I like to use for SPEED workouts and just forgot one instead. I ended up walking a few miles with the girls who are either injured or choosing to walk and then headed home where I found a sports bra and went on a run. Thank the lord.

A marathoner can get a little psychotic if she doesn't get her prescribed run in. Know what I mean? Seriously, I felt like I was going to freak out if I didn't get some serious work done on those legs. I set my sights on a 6 mi tempo run and told the manfriend sianara.

I ended up doing .5 mi easyish and then picked it up for the next 5.5 miles. Every time I looked down at the watch it was reading something near a 7:50 mi which is a bit fast for me (and I was sure I couldn't hold), but it stuck. Every time I tried to ease back a bit, I couldn't. Some days it feels like it's either this speed or nothin'. If I ease back I'll drop down to cool down pace. Does that ever happen to you? Either way, I got my speed work in.

Seven miles in the bag and one happy camper!

P.S. Hosting events is hard work. That's probably why I rarely do it. You overprepare just so your guests are completely happy, which is cool. And you start over analyzing everything and purchasing enough for twice the RSVP'ed amount. These runners better be hangry! I've purchased exactly 48 hamburger buns and 45 hamburgers, not to mention a bunch of other stuff.

Comments

Hosting an event IS a lot of work. But it's so worth it when the event is a smashing hit. I am
sure your runners will come hungry. Sounds delish!

I hear you on how you NEED to get runs in and if you don't, it messes with your day. I had to skip a run last week due to the weather (I don't have a gym membership this summer so that wasn't an option) and dear God, I was a cranky mess that day...
Kerry said…
Hey Lauren, Your post reminded me of an unrelated question. I'm looking at GPS watches and I was wondering what sort you have and what you think of it. -Kerry
Anonymous said…
Sports bra is KEY, as are those "prescribed" runs! Neurosis always kicks in at some point (or multiple points) during marathon training, but thats probably part of why we love it. There's something to Do and we feel motivated to do it!

p.s. nice job holding on to that pace :) Some days it really is all or nothing, just go with it!
Amber said…
I haven't ran for 2 days and I'm going CRAZY. Soooo antsy to RUN!

I'm sure your BBQ will be fabulous :)
Danielle said…
LP--so looking forward to the BBQ! I'm going to be a little late. But remember--you can always freeze things. :)
Kerry, I have the Garmin 305. It really depends on what you want it for. I'll send you an email too. I would also check out garmin.com for more info.

Popular Posts