Race Recap: Spring Creek Duathalon

I left work around 4:30 on Friday to get home and finish packing before manfriend and I could head to Portland. After he got home, we gathered our stuff, grabbed the dog and hopped in the car. Because my parents have a large fenced in yard and a dog of their own, it's a natural place to leave Jonah Bell when we need some easy, free dog sitting...not to mention the fact that she LOVES it.

After a long drive and a lot of rain, we made it to my friend J's, picked her up and headed to Pizza Fino for dinner. The atmosphere inside was so perfect. Dimly lit, but cool feeling. They even have a small bar at the front where you can enjoy drinks and a slice! We were pretty hungry so I ordered a salad, a glass of Arbor Brook Pinot Noir and the Pocket Aces pizza, which had carmelized onion, pancetta, and smoked mozzarella on red sauce. Yum. It wasn't by any means the BEST pizza I've had, but it hit the spot.

We went back to J's and hit the hay shortly after 10 pm. We got up around 7:45 am, I grabbed some toast w/ pb and banana slices and made some mango green tea. Then we loaded up the cars and headed to the race around 8:30. We arrived in 20 or so min to a fairly full lot and lots of racers. Packet pick up was easy peasy. We grabbed our packets and got to work on putting our numbers on our bikes, helmets and shirts.

Jess and I both got marked by volunteers...race # on left, age on right (to let other racers know how worried they should be when you bolt pass them). ;)


What I really liked was that no one was allowed into the transition zone without a race number on both their calves and bib. What does that mean? Your stuff is SAFE once you leave it in your stall.

J and I took a short 1/2 mile or so warm up about 15 min prior to the start. It was cold out, but just sort of sprinkling. We ran over to a fast food joint to use their bathrooms while 20+ athletes waited inline for a few porta potties. It just made sense...clean, warm, dry, inside. We made it back to the starting line to stand around for about 8 minutes before the start. At the last minute we ditched our jackets inside the transition zone because we knew we'd get too hot.

I was wearing a Smartwool bike jersey and arm warmers, Nike capris and my Smartwool beanie w/ some cheapo gloves. J and I had planned to run something like an 8 min pace for the 5k. Within the first 30 sec one of my mini Larabars went bouncing out of the back pocket of my jersey...FAIL. A mile or so later, my Luna moons bounced right out...FAIL. This time I turned back to snag them because they were my only fuel left for the entire race so I needed them.

It was an out and back 5k with just one little hill, no biggie. As we ran back into the transition I was just mentally going through my checklist. The transition took me 2:58...slooow. Next time, I won't have shoe covers, won't change gloves (from cheapos to padded cycling gloves) and will just wear either cycling shorts/pants OR running pants the entire race. Instead, I was switching over several things that weren't necessary for a simple out and back 15 miler.


Nothing too exciting on the bike. I was slow and got passed by a lot of people. The rain had still held off for which I was thankful for, but the wind was all up in my business trying to knock me down. So I just leaned into it. Not gonna lie, my butt and my brain were happy to be finished with those 15 miles. By this point J was about 7-8 min behind me because she was riding a mountain bike.

I was just happy to be on the final leg of the race. These legs were not feeling the whole running thing, but I urged them on and passed a lot of people who had previously passed me on the bike...SUCCESS! Oh and I left the 12 year old boy in the dust...SUCCESS! After looking at the results, I was humored to realize I ran the second 5k faster than the first. I think that means next time I don't hold back on that first one. Must. run. harder.

Stats:
Overall time: 1:49:37
Age/Div Place: 8/21
1st 5K: 0:23:58
Transition 1: 2:58
15 mi bike: 0:56:43
Transition 2: 2:12
2nd 5K: 0:23:46

Overall, I'm happy with my performance. The race was fun, but nothing outstanding. I'd definitely do another duathalon in the future. I snagged some salty snacks (BBQ Popchips are the bomb, btw) and a few bites of chicken noodle soup from the post race food line and then we were off for a little Starbucks pick me up.

Well, I'm at a social media boot camp most of today for a work training. I'm excited to be armed with some new ways to think about and utilize social media. Happy Tuesday!

Comments

Amber said…
Have fun at the social media bootcamp! I did one of those back in September - SO interesting!!

You are so speedy lady! I can't wait to run, oh 1/2 a mile with you in Portland before you leave me in your dust :P

That duathlon sounds fun, I didn't realize they were run-bike-run!
Wow, those were some fast 5ks. You are so speedy my dear! Very impressive that your 2nd half was faster than your first!!

Popular Posts