The jury's still out on hills.

Sunday morning after a long night of drinks, laughter and some dancing with the girls, K and I met up for a long run. Our sights were set on the ribbon trail, a trail accessed by way of running up a large hill and through a park. It then rolls up and down along side a hill with great views and dumps you off into a golf course.

To get to the start of the trail, it takes a decent 10 or so minutes to make your way up the incline and through the park. By the time we got to the trail, my glutes and hamstrings were not so happy. But apparently what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.

I only stopped to walk once so I suppose it was a success (seeing as how I could have walked once every 5 min or so) but man, that run had me thinking I should incorporate inclines into my midweek runs more frequently. It's just so easy to hop onto Pre's Trail around here because of its location and scenery.

So the next time you're feeling like your running is getting stronger, just head out to do some hills to bring yourself back to earth to feel really out of shape. 1 hr 25 min later we had finished 10 miles of fun.

Comments

Amber said…
Ahhhh hill runs. Now that I don't live in my old, extremely-hilly neighbourhood anymore I must admit I've been neglecting them. I will have to head out for some rolling hills of reality soon ;)
I've been running in my neighborhood the last couple of weeks. There is one massive hill and then it's sort of rolling hills for the rest of my loop. I never brought my Garmin with but always felt like my pace was SO DANG SLOW. Then today I ran this lake loop that is pretty flat & my splits were great. My first 2 miles were in the 8:30-8:40 range which is really fast for me! :) So I guess the hilly route has been good for me.

I then went & bought a roller to stretch out my quads. My knee is still bothering me so i was going to buy a patella band to help and then the guy at my running store convinced me to try the roller. Hopefully it helps - he swears by it!

So jealous that you live close to Pre Trails. Although thinking about those trails makes me so sad because it makes me think of his short life. :(
Yay for hills that make us fast! I definitely need to incorporate them regularly for marathon training. It will make that hill at mile 17 much easier in the end.

Popular Posts