Shotgun Creek Trail Blast Recap

Race morning I had a few pieces of toast and 1/2 a TJ's vanilla yogurt. Toast with nut butter and banana always seems like the perfect combo on race day. I also chugged several glasses of H2O just to be sure I was hydrated.

The Shotgun Creek Trail Race included a 50K (30 mi), 25K (15.5) and a 10K (6.2). The 50k entrants started an hour before the 25k and 10k. K (Kristin) and I arrived at the Shotgun Creek recreation area about 40 min prior to our 10am start. Temps were in the high 40s and the sun was out. What more could you ask for?

Overpreparing as usual, I had my handheld water bottle filled with Gleukos. I ditched it prior to the race because there were aid stations nearly every two miles. There were a little over 100 participants in all three races. As we stood at the line, I realized it was definitely the smallest race I've ever been a part of. Small, but cool. No anthem, no professional runners just a "set, go!" and we were off.

The first 1.5 miles went by fairly easy along the logging road and we hit our first aid station. Then it was a gradual incline for the next several miles just trucking slowly along the logging roads. The 10K ers veered off up the hill and we kept going steady and up. The cool thing was that on the way out, the 50K and 10K racers were coming toward us so it made the route more exciting to see the next racer and try to guess if they were a crazy 50Ker or a 10Ker.

Around mile 7 we could see the big hill we'd be heading up (and only three other runners in sight), grabbed some water and trail mix from the boy scouts.

The highlight I'm telling you was the aid stations. We wished we'd had a small backpack or something to stash extras in (cuz you know how expensive Shot Bloks, Gu's and Lara Bars are)! Not only was there some serious runner fuel, but there were goodies like fruit snacks, trail mix, pretzels, peanut m&m's, etc. And each station was armed with boy scouts who were quite cheerful. Okay, moving on...

We finally reached the point where we were sent off the logging road and up the trail...STRAIGHT up the hill. The three other runners ahead of us were walking and it was clear that was our option as well. The incline was steep and the red mud wasn't any help either. So we huffed and puffed our way hiking up the hill for the next mile or so until it flattened out enough for us to run. That's where we hit what I'd say was the most fun running of the trail.

We spent the next mile or so running a decent pace flat or downhill dodging rocks and puddles. And then it was back to the logging road (and a beautiful view) and back down to the aid station at the bottom of the hill. We refueled and downed more H20 and headed back down the decent. By this time we were seeing the 50Kers headed back up on their 2nd loop of this thing...insane.

Everything felt good (more or less) until about mile 13. My toes were sore from gripping and hitting the insides of my shoes. My legs were feeling tired. My stomach was not feeling any of it. K was nice enough to stay with me even though I was lagging along. But it seriously felt like the longest few miles ever. We finally made it back into the park area and over the finish line in 2h 16min!

Turned out that the race director had measured a bit short so our course was in fact 14.7 mi, but in the scheme of things, more or less 15 miles and a great race! Also, this year's course was much different than last year's apparently because last year was almost all trail and crazy hilly with a little logging road. You won't hear complaining from us!

Just another natural ice bath post race, no biggie...

Post race, we grabbed some water, chili, pretzels and oranges. I grabbed my 3rd place medal because apparently you can win age groups if the race is small enough...ha! Later that evening, I made us Thai Tofu Splendidness. K brought the wine and Ben & Jerry's. Perfect way to celebrate a race well done (or completed) in my book!

Who doesn't love free stuff?? We got a free pair of Wigwam socks (pretty comfy, fyi) and I grabbed a few mini Lara Bars. Love those things...don't love the price.

Sunday, the legs were definitely feeling sore and tired. I walked the dog, did an easy 25 min yoga session and then met K for an easy 4 mi run. It was painful, but necessary. Later that afternoon, I headed out in the rain for a few miles on the bike and got my first flat in 1,400 miles of cycling. I walked the last mile home. Thank god I wasn't any further away. Just in time for manfriend to come home from New Jersey to fix a flat bike tire!

Comments

Congrat!! Well done! I am envious of the awesome aid stations! I have never heard of a race having such great fueling options. That is SO COOL. And well done on snagging 3rd place! Sounds like an awesome race!!
Anonymous said…
None of the pics are showing up over here, dangit!! I'll have to come back and check them out from home tonight :)

Congrats!!! that's an AWESOME time for 15 hilly trail miles! wow, you definitely were Not lagging :) Ben & Jerry's + vino and some gal-time sounds absolutely perfect. glad you enjoyed the weekend!
Amber said…
That sounds awesome!! I am looking at doing a 30K trail race this summer. It will be close to the end of Marathon training so I think it will be great timing!!

I LOVE natural ice baths. In the summer I always run by the river in Kamloops and then wade into the river RIGHT AFTER my long runs. Feels so good!
Kyla Roma said…
Well done!! That's amazing, and it sounds like you chose the perfect way to decompress =)

Popular Posts