Did you know?

Did you know that young women are delaying childbirth now more than ever?

While the economy definitely has something to do with it, women are finding that delaying pregnancy and finishing our educations results in higher wages over the long haul. And ultimately, more power when they return to work.

In 2010, births to ...
teens declined 6%
20-24 declined 7%
25-29 declined 4%
30-34 declined 2%
35-39 declined 1 %
40-44 rose 3% for the second yr in a row

I guess this struck me in a moment when I'm noticing so many women my age settling down, buying homes and starting their families. I often find myself questioning, 'should I be doing that?', 'don't I want that now?' and 'how much longer will my proverbial clock be ticking?'

I'm not one to say either way (motherhood or career woman first) is right or wrong, but I guess I find myself stuck smack dab in the middle of that crowd. Do you jump into a new career path right when you might want to settle down? Can you wait until after you begin motherhood to jump feet first into a new endeavor? Or can you do it all at once? (all rhetorical questions)

You can read the entire article by Elizabeth Gregory here at the Los Angeles Times.

Oh what you learn when you actually pick up a newspaper and read it. While I browse online news stories here and there, I find myself just rushing to get on to the next thing and am unlikely to really read an entire article. Does anyone else feel the same way? How do you consume most of your news?

I rely on the occasional online story or the television (local news, Today Show, NBC Nightly News) to get my fix, but there's often more time devoted to browsing or watching for pure entertainment purposes.

Hope your Tuesday was fabulous! It's nice to have a four day week this week. My head is still in a semi-fog of exhaustion.

Comments

Wow, that is really interesting... For me, I more so worry that by the time I am actually in the position to have kids (i.e. married), I won't be able to have kids or the risks of having them will be high... But i try not to think about that too much because it freaks me out!

So for now, I just focus on my career as a default and hope that eventually I meet my Mr Right!

I get most of my news from watching a morning news program when getting ready... I just don't make the time to sit down and read the paper or magazines!!

and I am loving this 4 day week. Why can't every week be a 4 day one? ;)
Amber said…
I've been thinking about this a lot lately so might have to blog about it too :)

I have nilch, zero NO maternal instincts at all right now. Like, none. Which makes me question if I even WANT kids? When I see my friends who have families I think that I DON'T want that. I don't want my whole life to be 100% focused on these little people. But then I wonder if I really NEVER want kids or if I'm just not "there" yet. Definitely something interesting to think about!
siri said…
Interesting post, Lauren...

A funny thing to read 10 minutes after I popped Lasse into bed for his nap after a morning full of telling him not to a) lick the toilet seat, b) chew on the remote, and c)smear his entire breakfast all over himself, then the kitchen table.

I guess I occasionally WONDER what it would be like if I had prioritized a career over motherhood. But I'd never wish for things to change.
I can't remember the last time I read an ENTIRE article - online news or on paper. Kind of sad, right? My attention span doesn't last that long, either. I can read magazines cover to cover though....? :)

Anyway, that's definitely something interesting to let sit and soak. I have no idea whether career or motherhood would come first, not at a point where I think about it realistically, yet...
Gracie said…
As soon as my class graduated from pharmacy school, all the girls got married and BOOM had a baby. Not me. I worked hard in school for this career, and I feel like I would be abandoning it!
Scarlett said…
Wow, thanks for posting about the kids issue! I just posted about a new job and the fact that it means waiting once again for kids...very tough decisions...
Thanks for all your great feedback! Interesting to see where everyone stands. It's definitely a personal choice.

And it sounds like I'm not the only one getting snippets of news here and there.
Anonymous said…
All I can say about kids is this - make sure it is what YOU want. I have never really had the maternal drive. My original "life plan" had me getting married in my 30s after a good start on my career and - frankly - never having kids. I had both boys because having kids was important to my ex. PLEASE - don't take me wrong - I LOVE my boys. They are such a wonderful part of me and make me a better, richer person. But there is still that nagging part in the back of my head that misses out on life without them.

Trust your gut.
Erin - thanks for being real. I can see how that would be on your mind now and then, especially as the boys are still young and take a lot of parenting. And I'm sure even the mothers who always wanted kids have some of those same feelings sometimes.
Run Jess Run said…
I'm guilty! I want to have kids, but I'm prioritizing things in my career first. I understand that after 30, there are risks to getting pregnant, but I kind of balk at that. A woman I work with is 37 and just had her first child and that doesn't seem like a late age to me at all.
Jen HaHA said…
I got married at 24 (thought I was an older bride-ha!). I wanted to get a good couple of years of copywriting in so I could switch to freelancing and start a family at 30. Bought a house at 27. Got laid off at 28 due to downsizing and wasn't able to establish a good copywriting foundation. Found out I was pregnant six weeks later. No job, pregnant, mortgage, new car payment. I had Desi soon after I turned 29. Found out I was pregnant again when Desi was 17mo. Had Augie at 31. Things didn't turn out as planned. The story goes on . . . and it's wonderful even with the surprises.

I used to watch the news every time it was on during the day. Now I'm so out of it. I'll check my mobile app, but I'll read the local news and forget to check national and world.

So now that I've told you my life story . . . Nice to meet you :D


Jen Hemming and Hawing Again

Popular Posts