Blackberry jam is key, people.

In honor of earth day, manfriend and I both biked it to work yesterday. Plus, the weather happened to show all sun so I wasn't discouraged. I managed to stuff all my work clothes, food, and running shoes into my backpack for the day.

I also made a pretty awesome sandwich if I do say so myself. Enclosed between Dave's Killer Bread is: avocado, blackberry jam, sharp aged Irish cheddar, spinach and smoked turkey.

Manfriend thought I was crazy to be putting jam in the mix, but let me tell ya, it went peeerfectly with the sharp cheddar.

It kind of reminded me of Kath's Crofter's sandwiches that always look AMAZING. Next time you make a sandwich, I highly recommend using your favorite jam paired w/ cream cheese or any cheese in fact.

When 6pm rolled around it was time for tempo work with the group. Our options were: 3, 4 or 5 mile tempo. After Wednesday's boot camp full of walking lunges, jump squats with weights and alternating jumping lunges, the legs were not feeling the tempo work. I squeeked out the 3 mile version, cooled down for another mile with K, and then ran another 1.5 mi back to the office. 6.5 miles done.

Sweaty and tired, I pulled on the bike shorts and shoes and slowly pedaled my way home. There's nothing like speed workout to make you feel like a fairly flat 5 mile ride is tough.

Manfriend arrived home shortly after and we got to work on chicken nachos. Yum. It's the perfect fun, easy, protein filled meal to throw together. Then we raced up to his friends house to visit for a bit (while the guys chatted bikes). They had a baby six months ago who is now squealing, rolling over, and making motor boat sounds with her mouth. It was absolutely adorable.

Okay, enough baby talk. It's time to get this Friday going. I took the dog for a nice 25 min walk and then did 20 min of a Dave Farmar podcast. Time for breakfast! I don't know where the week went, but halleluiah for Friday (and happy hr)!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Love this!! I think Jam goes with anything, and does Not sound crazy ;)

For our Xmas Eve party, a family friend brought appetizers of Jam + cream cheese + crackers. It was Jalapeno-Peach jam, I might add. I thought she was crazy. And then, I thought it was DELICIOUS. (bought at a Local store in Durango, CO. definitely Not a jam you'll see in stores ;))
siri@bentare.no said…
Delish looking sandwich, Lauren!

May I also recommend on your next sandwiches:
-aged gouda and fig jam
-blue cheese and fresh pears
-cheddar and apple chutney

Just a few things I picked up while working at a cheese shop.
I would have never thought of adding jam to a sandwich. Sounds pretty genius to me! This summer, I plan on experimenting and trying to make some edible gluten free bread. The stuff you can buy in stores is like eating saw dust. It is so awful. But I miss having sandwiches for lunch so I am forcing myself to figure it out on my own! So I will keep the jam thing in mind!

My runs have been going really well this week. My knee seems to be doing better. i have been diligent about using the foam roller, though, which seems to help! And I am keeping up w/ the cross training. :)
DOTR-Yes, I loooove pepperjelly w/ cream cheese. It's awesome.

Siri- thanks for the good suggestions.

Lisa- I have complete faith you can conquer that gf baking mission! Bummer you can't good store bought gf breads. And good work on those runs!

Popular Posts