Training and Cookies (go hand in hand)

I realized the other day that once I get on a training plan, I kind of get tunnel vision. Not in a bad way (well, in my opinion anyway), but in a focused, I must do these miles kinda way.
Runner friends are constantly asking each other "So, what's your next race? Are you doing Butte to Butte (large local 10K)?" I ramble off my answers...Oh, a 50K trail race and a marathon...oh and a relay before the 50K. And yeah, probably the Butte to Butte too.

It's funny how the little races get lost in the midst of the BIG ones. I guess that's how it should be. My ultimate goal is finishing this McKenzie River Trail Run happy and running so that means I've got to run my ass off this summer.
I've been shocked at how laid back I've treated my training so far. Not that I'm ignoring the miles, but simply that I'm not freaking out about the frequent double digit long runs and 40-50 mile weeks. It's a good thing, my friends. I guess I've reached a place of near comfort.

I remember when the simple thought of having to run a 16 mile long run on a Sunday had me nervous for the entire week prior. So glad those days are over. But now I'm at the place where I need to listen to the signs my body gives. The pin pointed pain in my shin, the sneezing throughout the day, the sluggishness in a run. It's all part of figuring out when I need to take it back a notch.

It's not easy, but today I gave the running shoes a rest. I did an hour of Dave Farmar and core yoga this morning followed by a walk with the dog. And nothing else. No run at lunch. No workout after 5 pm. REST success.

And now, how to make some kick ass cookies!

Run out of butter. Use coconut oil for replacement. Melt. Use all necessary sugar. Don't skimp on anything. Follow Nestle recipe as noted on back of bag.
And just like that, you've made your tummy, spouse, friends and coworkers the happiest of clams. This was the first time I've ever had cookies that sort of turned out how they're supposed to look. And the manfriend declared these quite possibly the best batch of cookies I'd ever made.

Next time, I'd prefer to have the butter I need on hand, but for these, the hint of coconut wasn't half bad.

Do you try to healthify baked goods are you more of an all or nothin' baker? I can go both ways. If I want to eat it, the recipe gets altered a bit but if it's something the manfriend wants, I try to make the real deal.

*Wish me luck! I'm waking up at 4:30 am to get a long run in before I head out of town for the weekend. This is going to be PAINFUL.

Comments

I so rarely bake! Ha! But when i do (which I pretty much exclusively make banana bread), I do not make any modifications because, well, I feel like there is always a chance it will flop even if I follow all the directions ;)

I hope the 4:30 run went/is going well! It's tough to run that early, isn't it? I have been doing that lately and it really is not my fave time to run...
Emily said…
i love healthified baked goods. I honestly think they taste better than non-healthy ones a lot of the time. My mom used to make these amazing oatmeal chocolate chip cookies that she used apple sauce in and oh. my. yum. but I'm also a sucker for buttery delicious sugary goodness. my coworkers makes these awesome mini pies and i've been eating the for breakfast all week long!
Lindsey said…
I like to healthify baked goods as well. I agree with Emily, they taste better!

That is awesome you have gotten so comfortable with high mileage weeks and long runs. I hope I can get there someday!

Popular Posts