Mmm take a bite

I'm going to let you in on what of my kitchen secrets. It's VERY rare to find a recipe I follow that I don't alter in some way. My version of Mama Peas' Mmmm Sauce for example, was made with cashews rather than almonds because we simply didn't have any.

Mama Peas' Mmm Sauce

I loved being able to use basil straight from my herb planter for this!


While I found this sauce mighty tasty for veggie dipping last week, I'm not sure I loved it on our stir fry. It just wasn't quite what I was hoping for.

While I don't use nutritional yeast regularly, I simply wasn't a fan of the chalky taste it seemed to leave in the sauce. Next time (and there will be a next time), I will experiment with how much paprika I add and actually using almonds. I have a feeling the taste will be significantly different.

Sometimes that's the best part of cooking or baking: being able to put a different spin on one recipe.

Jonah is always within two feet of me if I'm making something, if not right under my feet. She's ready to attack the moment I drop so much as a crumb on the ground.




Veggie stir fry's seem to be on my stomach's priority list lately. Perhaps because we're starting to see so many fun veggies in the stores and at the farmers market.

Do you have a recipe that you love to make different versions of? Have you tried making vegan "cheesey" sauces?

Happy National Running Day! You know I'll be getting my miles in later, rain or shine. Check out the sweet discounts Rock N Roll series marathons are giving today only - thanks for the heads up, Gracie!

And a great Runner's World article on Making Every Minute (of your running) Count. If time is limited, do what will benefit you most!

Comments

Chili is one of my favorite recipes to experiment with in the winter - definitely pizza and/or veggie kabobs in the summer.

I have yet to try this famous Mmm sauce, but I'll remember to stick with Almonds when I do! ;)
I tried making a vegan alfredo this winter and it was a total fail. It had tahini in it and that overpowered all of the other ingredients big time. I haven't tried any 'cheeze' sauces since but I really should since I have a big thing of nutrional yeast!

Popular Posts