New Year, new you?

On my way to work I was thinking how funny it is that this day is so special to many of us...I even wore a dress for the occasion. And yet, it's just the start to another year like all the ones before. But for whatever reason, a new year allows each of us to have hope that we will do better, experience more and live life more fully.

This year, with not only a work assignment looming, but the hope to really choose a few things I'm able to improve upon, I've felt a bit overwhelmed to pick the perfect resolution. Turns out, I couldn't choose just one, but a slew of resolutions for 2009. So in no particular order, yours truly is hoping she can work on the following things this year for her own sanity and personal growth...

1. Say yes/being open to more opportunities (Have you read Yes Man by Danny Wallace? If not, you can now watch the movie.) *This is probably the biggest one for me because ultimately it means being open to guys I'm not originally interested, letting people know me better, making more of a concerted effort to be outgoing and talk to people, doing things that might have me scared shitless (moving to a big city and leaving my friends behind) so I learn something new and expand my horizons.
2. Consolidate and simplify some areas of my life while saying yes to more (does that make sense?)
3. Stop biting fingernails (i do this when i'm stressed, bored, frustrated)
4. Move on, get new job, figure out the whole grad school thing (if i'm going, where i want to go, what degree i'm seeking)
5. Get 8 hours of sleep a night
6. Focus on finances, specifically curb impulse buying and decide i don't need everything i love

2008 was a good year. I got a promotion, traveled a fair amount: Phoenix, Pittsburgh, Denver, San Fran, Seattle, Vermont, Maine, saw a ton of great races and athletes at the Olympic Track & Field Trials, ran my third marathon and a few 1/2s, 10k, and 5ks and learned how to put on snow chains. 2008 was good, but 2009 will be better.

I think 2009 is sure to be a life changer. With the Europe trip set for May and a head full of hopes, I'm looking forward to seeing what a new outlook on life (and the world, for that matter) will bring. I don't plan the adventure to be just three amazing weeks of my life that are like no other. No, I fully intend them to be the catalyst to a domino effect of changes.

So here's to a new year filled with greatness! Go ahead, pop open some bubbly because you deserve it.

Comments

Joanna Goddard said…
i love the yes man idea. happy new year!!!
Kerry said…
I'm expecting 2009 to be full of changes for me as well. I'm working on trying to see it as exciting rather than terrifying. I actually see a lot of similarity in our goals for the year.

Good luck on those and I hope that the rewards are great!
Anonymous said…
goood NY resolutions! :) I still haven't come up with any..ehhh, I should get on that.

cheers to a new year!*
Laura said…
I especially like #2 - it makes perfect sense and is such a good idea.

I'm trying to spend the last few days of my holiday simplifying my possessions - it boggles the mind just how much crap I have that I don't need/use.

Happy New Year!
Britni said…
Good luck with all of that... sounds like it was a great year.

Popular Posts