Pros and Cons

of waking up to run before the crack of dawn.

Pro: you get a jump start on the day

Con: it's too dark to safely run alone outside

Pro: you have time to fit a long run in before work

Con: your legs feel like logs the first 3 miles

Pro: you don't have to worry about traffic

Con: there are creepers out (i.e. man passed out face down near river path)

Pro: the creepers force you to run just a weeeee bit faster when you go by them

Con: you need something in your stomach prior, but not so much that it impedes your run

Pro: you get to eat a second breakfast ;)

I knocked out 12 miles in 1 hr 42 minutes this morning. Then managed to fit in a little arm strengthening a la fitnessista and even a little foam rolling for the win! It's nice to have my long run out of the way for the weekend. I'm headed out of town for a friend's bachelorette party at the beach.

This was a step back week so next weekend's LR should be 16-18 miles. Per the usual I'm roughly following a training plan, but not too seriously.

What are the pros and cons of your morning, Friday or week in general?

Comments

Jen Feeny said…
Well done chica!!! Enjoy the rest of your day/weekend!
Amber said…
Amazing! The farthest I've ever ran before work was 9 miles, and that was intense. Lol. I'm impressed you busted out a big run like that AND some strength training!!!
Heather @ Dietitian on the Run said…
Long Runs are such a good start to the day - feels great to get in the workout, plus the added endorphin rush of distance ;)

Con of my morning: bike crash. ugh.
Pro: riding with a buddy, and getting the workout done!
Lindsey said…
Nice job getting your long run in before work!

Friday Pro - I worked a bunch of extra hours today... yay for overtime!

Friday Con - I had to get up at 4am to get to work by 5am. I was sooo tired all day.

Have a great weekend away!
Scarlett said…
I cant do predawn during the week bc I work until about 8 in the evening and just get so tired by 4 o clock. Also, I get scared of drunk people in the pre-dawn here in Barcelona!
I run at 4:30 about 2-3 times each week. I only have time for 4 miles as I have to be at work by 7... But last year I did lots of 7-8 mi runs as I could get into work later in that job

I don't love predawn runs. I had deer jump out in front of me last week which scared the crap out of me. And my pace sucks. But it's better than not running. And it feels good when I finish a work day and know i can so something social without feeling guilty.
J said…
Nice morning run! The farthest I have ever done before work was 8 miles. I am thankful there isn't anyone else out when I run. Just peaceful country roads!
12 MILE RUN. Wow, i wish i had your commitment.
I need to loose some weight, so im usuing running as my weight-loss activity. However, i only managed to run half a mile today.
Admittingly, its scorching hot in England which may have effected me. Oh, i should stop making excuses!

http://oliviadollydaydream.blogspot.com/
Raquelita said…
Creepsters are why I haven't run at night since I was in college. I feel like I never sleep well when I plan to get up really early for a run (or a race). It was the same when I did mysore early in the morning at my old yoga studio. I think part of it is that my spouse never comes to bed until after 11pm and that usually at least partly wakes me up.

Popular Posts