New Gear!

There are few things that get this athlete more excited than new running gear. You don't have to twist my arm to get a new pair of shoes when I've reached 400 or so miles on the current pair. And I can't pass up cute spandex I know I'll use. So here are a few fun recent purchases...

These itty bitty $4 ear plugs have been a brilliant addition to the triathlon training. It's been great to get out of the pool and not have two waterlogged ears.

I've been wanting to try a pair of compression socks for quite some time now. I finally bit the bullet and bought one of the cheaper pairs out there, the Recovery Sock. Let's not lie, their hot pink nature makes me giddy.


I've yet to determine if these things really "work," but I'll do a review probably after the long trail race and let you know what I think. Some people say compression socks are just a gimmick. Either way, I know they feel good!

And finally, the grand daddy of them all: Vibrams!


I had been wanting to try out some minimalist shoes for walks and eventually short runs so when my REI dividend AND my 20% off coupon popped into my inbox, I snatched up a pair. So far, I've only worn them for a few walks with the dog with a few 30-60 second stints of running thrown in. Even in those short amounts of time, I've noticed my toes have been sore the next day.

After the trail race on April 10, I may start wearing these a bit more and running for longer stretches, but I'm going to take it super easy. I know this building foot strength stuff takes time.

Have you guys tried compression socks or Vibrams? There are a ton of brands out there for compression socks, but I enjoyed reading Marathon Mama's review of the variety of compression socks she owns. Ultimately, it came down to price and color for me.

And on that note, I need to find some food. My stomach doesn't seem to understand it's been fed and it's time for bed. I'm so ready for this burning through fuel thing to be done.

Comments

I do not own compression socks or Vibrams! I have considered getting compression socks but now that my marathon days are behind me, I think they are probably not all that necessary.

I am intrigued by Vibrams - you'll have to let us know what you think!
J said…
I love those recovery socks! I don't have a pink pair yet!!
Jen Feeny said…
I love my pink recovery socks, they are my fav after run treat! Enjoy!!!

As for the vibrams, I have a pair of the sprints and plan on rotating them back into use once the weather warms and I have nothing but time to focus on form as I make my way back to the land of the running. Just take things nice and easy as you get started. I got up to a half mile in them before winter.
Haven't tried compression socks OR vibrams - but I am anxious to hear what you think of both :) I would've gone with the pink, too!
Lindsey said…
Exciting purchases!

I haven't tried compression socks but I'm interested to hear what you think of them!

I love my Vibrams. I didn't wear them in the winter very much but I wore them all the time last summer and fall. I only worked up to running 2 miles in them on roads. I'm hoping to wear them on trails a lot once I can start running again. They are great for walking and just wearing around too.
Emily said…
the hot pink recovery socks are definitely the bomb.com. LOVE THEM. I have the sleeves but they're boring and black. stupid running store not stocking my color...
Amber said…
I LOVE my compression socks! They are great!

Can't wait to hear more about what you think of your vibrams. I really want a pair!
Raquelita said…
I think I'm going to spring for a pair of compression socks when I buy a new pair of running shoes here in the next couple of weeks. I am intrigued by Vibrams, so I can't wait to see your review!

Popular Posts