Hills and a Yoga Challenge

We thought we'd been on "hilly" rides before. Well, cycling on a small peninsula near my grandparents' cabin isn't exactly flat. We took our bikes with us in hopes of getting in a short ride. And that we did. But it wasn't without some serious glute work.

These hills were frequent and evil at times. One even caused me to unclip and walk up the short steep section because I was sure I would tip over, even in my "granny gear" (the smallest of the three front rings/gears on the bike). The manfriend made a little fun of me, but I wasn't risking a crash for that damn hill.



I didn't get any pics of these serious hills. I was too busy pedaling my rear off. Flats and photography are much safer.
Getting back to the cabin, showering and eating a grilled sandwich was just what we needed after that torture.

View from cabin looking down to the outdoor kitchen, fire and waterfront

Vacation weeks are always a bit more challenging to fit in the workouts I'd like to do. But overall, I did well.

Monday - 25 min strength circuit, 3 mile run (before driving 6 hrs to the cabin)
Tuesday - walked 2 miles w/ gma, 5 mile run w/ hills (hammy's sore from Monday's workout), wood stacking
Wednesday - 18 mile HILLY bike ride (1 hr 40 min)
Thursday - The Michigan speed workout: 1,000 m HARD ~ mile to 5K pace, 1000 m marathon pace, 800m, 1,000m, 400m all out, 1,000m + warm up and cool down mile.
Friday: strength circuit, easy run, yoga and foam roll

I think easing back on the running this week will be good for my weekend runs. I have a 18-20 mile trail run with friends scheduled for Sunday. As much as I want to makeup for lost mileage, I know that the bigger picture is more important. Being healthy and having semi fresh legs for Sunday wouldn't be a bad idea. :)

YOGA CHALLENGE:

Heather at Dietician on the Run and I are doing a little yoga challenge this month! Remember when I challenged you in December? Well, we're bringing back that fun and stretching love to your life.

The Basics:
*Do yoga in some form each day. Yes, you can even do a few poses before bed and call that good.
*Try out the weekly focus pose (starting next week)!
*Check in weekly to see how we're all doing.

There are some basic tips and resources from December's challenge if you're looking for some great FREE podcasts. Your local yoga studio would also be a great resource. You never know, you could meet a really cool community of people and a class you love!

Why: Heather and I decided to bring back a little yoga challenge because we could all use a little extra stretch in our lives. I neglect it faaaar too much in the midst of this running. Plus, it's a fun way to engage each other, try new poses or types of yoga and get bendy for 30 days.

Let's use the #yogachallenge hashtag on twitter when you take a class this month or try a new pose. Side crow anyone? Let us know if you have questions. Who's in?

Comments

Lindsey said…
Sure, I'm in! I only missed one day of the December challenge... And one of my un-met goals for June was to get back to yoga class, instead of just practicing on my own. This 30 day challenge will doubly-inspire me.
Is the hashtag a twitter thing?
Amber said…
Wow you are doing amazing fitting in so many workouts on your vacay! I am not doing that well - I'm blaming it on recovery week after my big race last weekend!!!
So ready for this challenge! Needing it right now - its harder to go "inside" for a workout during the summer, but truly we could do Yoga anywhere, right? ;) Might have to organize an outdoor group as part of the challenge...

So impressed with that ride, too. WHEW.

Happy holiday weekend!
I am impressed by all the workouts you are getting on this vacation! I have not been so great at running in the midst of running. Mostly because my legs have hurt so much - like ached. Probably because i was on my feet for 16 hours on Friday and then on them alot on Saturday, too. And Sunday. I did get in a hilly 5 miler along the river yesterday, though. :)

When are you coming to visit? ;) I step out my door and bam - there is the river and miles upon miles of running/biking paths. I think you & manfriend would like it. :)

Popular Posts