I wanted to be you.

Sitting in the student union, eating my lunch, watching you and several other students study, read, highlight, discuss and look pretty focused on your work, I wanted to be you again-the student. Carefree, sundresses, smiles, frisbees, flip flops, Starbucks, barefoot, laughter, books, studying, student.

I was trying to think if I ever looked so focused and enthralled in my studies EVER, much less on a Friday afternoon where temps dance in the 90s outside. I can't imagine I did. But then again, I was a j-school (journalism) major, which meant a lot of reading, writing and editing, but studying...not so much. When it really came to studying, say for Econ or Accounting, my face was probably in a scrunched, confused, frustrated mess.

I remember sunny Fridays (or perhaps any nice Spring day) spent on blankets in the back yard of our house with all the roommates the year I lived in an old sorority house with about 30 other girls. We'd set up camp around lunch time and then traipse off to class if we needed to, but would promptly return to the lawn for more girl talk and sun bathing with our books and notes open, pens in hand, rereading the same sentence over and over again. We knew we weren't getting anything accomplished, but it didn't really matter. Ah, the carefree days when the real world seemed light years away.

I'm looking forward to a weekend of freedom and sun. With no big plans, I've been scheming up ideas. I heart schedules and planning. I don't love that I'm kind of anal and I truly appreciate people who force me to be a bit more laid back. But, if I don't have set plans with friends and family, I try to fill my days up to the brim.

Plus, with a bum bod, I'm trying to keep my mind off wanting to spend every extra spare hour doing workouts. I think I'll swim tonight, make these yummy gingerbread pancakes tomorrow morning, go to the Sat market, have a picnic with some girlfriends while listening to music in the park and probably enjoy some good reading time.

Comments

KGreg said…
Sounds like a pretty sweet weekend plan. :) I agree with wanting to be a carefree student again - I particularly envy the ones who get to sit on the grassy areas around campus in their flip flops.
Anonymous said…
Ugh, I dread the fall Saturdays where I'll be dyyyinggg to be at a PSU football game. Or the spring days where I'll want to be outside on the patio at Cafe 210 drinking a beer instead of going to class. Oh, college.

Popular Posts