Graduation madness

As the parents and suburbans begin to overflow the University streets and sidewalks, I can't help but think how fast the past two years flew by. And I wonder, have I really accomplished anything since June 11, 2005?

The class of 2007 is about to embark on the journey of the rest of their lives and I'm not sure they have any idea what they're getting themselves into. As a naive grad, I thought that with my abilities, motivation and hard work neatly packaged on a resume I would be able to find a job I liked that paid a decent wage because hell, I worked for it!

Well kids, welcome to the real world where decent salaries are merely a dream and the realization that your college loans won't be paid off for another 10-15 years.

So, where did I think I'd be in two years? Well, I can tell you it definitely wasn't Eugene. I guess I thought I'd be in Portland or San Francisco working at a PR firm or doing sports marketing. Turns out, I just couldn't leave the UO. My affinity for the University grew over the four years the more I became involved in club sports, the j-school, working @ the library and going to every Duck Athletic event possible. So here I am working in marketing and membership at the Alumni Association.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that geographically and professionally I never thought I'd be here. When I'm geographically in one place for too long I begin to feel personally and professionally stagnant. The toughest part I've realized about the real world is that a new term doesn't start every 12 weeks. As much as I'd like to, I can't just wipe my desk clean at the end of each term and prepare for a new set of assignments. And even worse, I have to sit inside on a gorgeous day when I'd prefer to be out on the lacrosse field in shorts and a tank top with the rest of the kids.

The great thing about this journey is that one good choice can lead to a series of amazing experiences. I'm just trying to figure out which choice to make. The moral of this story is, it's all up to me. And now, it's all up to the class of 2007. Where will their choices take them?

I never thought two years later I'd be sitting on campus when another class of graduates prepares to don their caps and gowns and walk with their classmates to "Pomp and Circumstance." And come next year, some of them may be thinking the same thing...

Happy Graduation!

Comments

Popular Posts