Dear Henry: five months

I know everyone is singing this tune right about now, but it's crazy to me that this is Christmas week! While most of my presents are bought and wrapped, our tree is half decorated (try hanging ornaments with a baby in your arm) and slightly leaning and we've yet to drive around looking at Christmas lights. #tistheseasonwithbaby

Miracle of miracles, I actually had drafted part of this post on my phone a month ago...


Dear Henry,

Five months! Almost half a year. Things sure do go quickly! It's hard to imagine that the average working American mom has already been back to work for TWO months! It makes me feel extremely lucky that I've been able to stay home with you for this long. Who knows what will happen in the future, but I know that right now I am trying to cherish this time even though it's exhausting and I rarely ever get a break.

But you're adorable, so I'll let it slide for now...

Lately, I've found myself dreaming of going to get a pedicure or massage mainly so I can get 90 min to myself to just zone out and be taken care of.

You are on the verge of being really mobile. You are currently doing nursing gymnastics (think down dog while attempting to nurse) and rolling over all the time in your crib, on your changing pad, etc. You are also getting up on all fours and rocking back and forth. It's so cute to come in your room in the morning or after a nap to find you just grinning while staring up at me and rocking on all fours.

I was thinking tonight about how lucky I am to be your mama. You are such a sweet little one and truly a gift.


And remember how last month I said we had done sleep training? Yeah, well, that was great while it lasted! About two weeks later you decided that the only way you would fall asleep is by nursing. I'm trusting that it's a phase and you're growing a lot right now so you need more food.

You've always liked books, but it seems that around month five you started really having a preference for certain books. The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Goodnight Moon and Little Blue Truck Leads the Way are a few of your favorites. You also like helping to turn the pages and close the book.


This month we took you over to Bend for a little overnight. It was your first time sleeping in the travel crib (& in a motel) and it went better than expected. But your dad and I sure realized life was different as we were watching the Duck football game on mute in a dark room at 7:00 p.m. as you slept. 


And how can I forget that this month I started giving you some real food?! You've tried pureed carrots, peas, broccoli and sweet potato as well as sips of my green smoothies and water. Oh how you love my water...

Okay, that'll do for now. I could probably write a letter to you every day because it seems like things change that quickly. 

Lots of love,

Mom


Weight: ~16 lbs

Sleep: all over the map. Waking every 1-3 hours through the night. Those three hour stretches feel glorious. 

Wearing: Some 6 month onesies, some 6-12 month stuff and 12 month PJs because anything smaller is too short for you. So thankful for all the hand-me-downs we've received from friends and family! 

Comments

I can't believe how big he is getting! I bet you are so excited to have Henry's first Christmas together soon! These letters are great, no matter how often you do them. My mom had a baby book for me and it's fun to look through it now. For my brother, the younger child, they were not as good at filling in the book, but by then there were video cameras so we do have a fair bit of footage of him as well. Cherish those memories!
Aw, he is so darn cute! I love his big eyes! It looks like he is such a happy baby!

I hope you can find a way to treat yourself to a massage or a pedicure or something along those lines as you certainty deserve some me time and pampering. Being a mom sounds like one of the hardest and most important jobs out there - you are doing a great job and Pete and Henry are so very very lucky to have you!!!
Leigh said…
Absolutely love that picture of you and Henry! So cute. Having Brian send me out of the house one night a week has helped so much with having "me" time. If there is a night soon that you can go and Pete can watch Henry, I'd love to treat to you a pedicure as you deserve it! Just let me know :)
Amber said…
Omigosh what a smile he has!! SO CUTE! Time really is flying by. I hope you are able to make some time for 'me' time after the holidays are over!!

Popular Posts