Finding Fall out on the Trails
Last weekend I hit the trails in search of some of my favorite views and running spots. It's funny, 90 percent of the time I run around my neighborhood, on the bike path, or on flat, well-known trails in town. But that the other 10 percent of the time when I venture out, I notice I enjoy my runs the most.
Mt. Pisgah is one of those places where I probably only run 5-10 times a year and yet it's only a ten minute drive from Eugene. Granted, it requires a little more planning, time and $3 for parking, but it's always worth it.
My friend Laurel and I headed out on my favorite loop around the mountain (i.e. the scenic route), which is about eight miles in total. I love when you get to the back side and the single track opens up onto this rolling country road.
After a mile or so, you head back UP into the single track and into the forest for some hilly fun. Again, another favorite view is right beneath these power lines. I love how you can see the fall colors even through the fog.
These trails tend to invite you to mosey on at your own pace because really, why rush this scenery?
And soon enough, you're greeted by fall at its finest. Hello, yellow everywhere.
With tired legs and rears, we got back to the parking lot about an hour and a half later. And what better way to warm up than a cinnamon dolce latte (1/2 the syrup) in one of the first red cups of the season?
Afterward, I meandered my way through Old Navy looking at some of their cute fall wear. Sometimes, simply window shopping fills my urge to actually purchase something. #clothesaddict
A few of my favorites were: this olive puffer vest, this black polka dot skirt, this lace top, and this heather grey dress.
Beyond that, I always like to wear layers on the trail, so I wore a tank + 1/2 zip long sleeve and a light Novara vest. The vest was overkill on Saturday, but often times perfect for cool or wet trail runs. Plus, it has a HUGE pocket in it to carry gloves, fuel, etc.
I don't know about you, but it's that time of year where I am once again shocked at how soon Christmas will be here. Cue shopping panic! The last few years we've been pretty minimalistic about gifts, but I always find this internal struggle with wanting to give nice gifts, but not wanting to give just to give (and worst of all, giving someone something they don't want or won't use).
Okay, back to microbiology...
What's your favorite fall activity you've done this year? Do you have a "plan" for Christmas, whether it's how you're going to celebrate or purchase gifts?