RW Quote of the Day

Each day an interesting, inspiring, funny or fabulous quote gets sent to my inbox courtesy of Runner's World. Today's really hit home for me, so much so that I had to share it with all of you.

"When we run, we are already so exposed, often nearly naked in our shorts and T-shirts, huffing and puffing, purified by the effort. Briefly removed from the defenses and secrets we maintain in so much of our lives, we feel less need to hide our private thoughts, loves, fears, and stresses. We share."

-Amby Burfoot, The Runner's Guide to the Meaning of Life

There's no doubt that when I'm with the girls, sweat dripping down our foreheads, I've definitely shared some of my deepest thoughts and fears with them. Things I couldn't bring myself to talk about if we were say just sitting down for dinner or drinks. Is running your safe place?

And when I'm out on a solo run, I often find myself lost in some of my best thoughts just listening to sounds around me and letting my mind wander as it will. What's your best thought producer? Running, reading, yoga, walking, knitting, swimming, sitting...?

Comments

Jen Feeny said…
Ooooooo thanks for sharing!!! Love it!

I always spill my secrets on long runs...
Laura said…
I love this quote...thanks for sharing.
I have a lot of daydreams during my long runs, usually involving me as a rock star or queen of the world. Usual stuff I guess. :)
Amber said…
GREAT quote. I defnitely have some of my deepest and clearest thoughts when I'm out running!
This quote graced my inbox today as well - and I didn't think too much about it until now...

You're very right though! Now that I've started running with a group/friends much more often - I do find myself explaining away things that I probably wouldn't otherwise....

On my own, just me and my tunes flowing through the thoughts? Those are my favorite Runs. easily.
Yep, running is definitely my 'safe' place. It's where I think through all the stuff I am stressing about. Or, it can also be a time when I shut all the thoughts off & just concentrate on the music and my breathing.

Popular Posts