A Beginner All Over Again

It's funny how only a few weeks after the Fueled by Fine Wine Half, I found one of my usual 3.5 mile routes challenging to finish. I walked the big hill I had been jogging up before and I really had to work for every mile I completed.

A week off from being sick and no more long runs and all of a sudden what was easy before is a challenge. Anyway, I'm working back to feeling strong again on my 3-4 mile runs and occasionally adding another mile or two for bonus points.

It's just fascinating to see that even after YEARS at this running thing, I can feel like a beginner all over again. That's actually the cool thing about almost anything in life, really.


But it's okay, I'm still making the most of these runs. Like stopping to look at the pretty wildflowers weeds?


I haven't signed up for any other races, so I'm just going to stay in shape and hopefully pick something soon. I'd love to get back to Thursday night speed group on occasion, but the little guy's bedtime routine always makes that tough.

My right glute tells me pretty regularly that it's still the weak one, so I'm trying to remember to do a little something for it a few times a week. In addition to a few old PT exercises, the yoga pose warrior III always seems to light the fire where I need it most.

Beyond the miles, we're making the most of summer and trying to take advantage of these hot temps by going to the pool and meeting friends at parks with water features. We've had 90+ degree days lately, so water, popsicles and cold beverages are necessity.


How is your summer shaping up? What's left on your summer bucket list? Favorite read or listen lately?

We have a trip to the midwest booked in a few weeks, a visit to the Oregon Coast and a few more pool days on my mental list. Beyond that, I'd like to drive a ways to do a hike or two and maybe squeeze in one more camping trip, but we'll see.

What I've been enjoying lately...
How to Clean Out Your Closet by Jill of Good Life for Less
Mainly I love the idea of sticking to your "desired personal style." Now the real challenge though is figuring out WHAT that style is. 

The Lively Show podcast by Jess Lively
I've mentioned this one before, but Jess is always inspiring me with her work in personal growth, entrepreneurship and now, her worldwide travels. I'll admit that it does give me the international travel itch. 

Comments

It is interesting how we can continue to feel like a beginner at something even though we've done it for so long. I know I'll really be starting over when I am cleared to return to running. That still seems a ways off, though, as my hip doesn't feel quite right yet but we'll see what the surgeon says when I see him next week for my follow-up.

I didn't make a summer bucket list but one thing I'd like to do before the end of August is go kayaking with Phil on the local chain of lakes. I'm hoping we can do that this weekend! Sounds like you have some really fun things to look forward to!
Amber said…
I am totally feeling like a beginner runner lately. I had already cut back on my running a lot in 2015 but 2016 it's almost been non existent. I am trying to slowly get back into it by doing 5km twice a week. Today was one of those days and man, it was tough! I really slogged through it! But I got it done!

Popular Posts