The Third Trimester: 40 weeks

We made it to 40 weeks! Honestly, around 35 weeks I would have told you that I was pretty sure I wasn't going to see 40 weeks, but here I am at 41 weeks today. I guess i just thought the baby had dropped much earlier than it actually did.

Week 40

How I'm feeling: Whew, 40 weeks. I feel like a ticking time bomb. Wherever we go, it's hard not to notice any little movement or Braxton Hicks contraction and think "could this be it?" Sleeping is pretty uncomfortable, so I have often thought I might be on the brink of labor during the night, but no such luck yet.

I am both excited and terrified of labor. I feel like I have no idea of what I'm in for and yet, I'm ready for it at the same time. At this point, I'm pulling out all the stops and trying do anything that has been shown to get labor going - using pressure points on the inside ankle and hands, sitting on my yoga ball, walking, doing plenty of squats, etc.

The baby definitely dropped because I now have to get up 4-5 times per night to pee. This is at least twice as often as before. I have also noticed that I'm a bit more hormonal and have cried a few times for a variety of reasons.

Baby: is the size of a jackfruit (~18.9 to 20.9 inches, 6.2 to 9.2 pounds). I've never had a jackfruit, so it makes me think I should try one. Baby is still making plenty of movements, but seems to maybe have slowed down just a bit.

We went in to the midwifery center for fetal monitoring this week where they hook you up to the machine for ~20 minutes to watch the baby's heart rate and activity levels. Then they did an ultrasound to check on my amniotic fluid levels. Both were good, which was a relief. If there's no baby by Monday, I go back in for another round of monitoring.  Come on Baby Moe!

Weight gained:  30 lb.



Exercise: lots of walking waddling, prenatal yoga, and weights

What I'm wearing: anything and everything stretchy

Baby preparations: adding snacks to our hospital bag and trying not to go crazy ;)

Random: Happy National Doughnut Day! I feel like I might need to partake if there's no baby headed our way today... Plus, I couldn't celebrate National Running Day this week, so I might as well partake in the one holiday I can.

What are you looking forward to most this month? 

Besides meeting Baby Moe, I'm looking forward to my cousin's wedding and exploring this whole parenting thing.

Related posts:
The Third Trimester: Week 39
The Third Trimester: Week 38
The Third Trimester: Week 37


Comments

Amber said…
You seriously look AMAZING Lauren. It looks like there is just a big basketball under your shirt! Even though I know it doesn't feel that way :)

Thinking of you!!!
I also think you look amazing in these late term photos! You are definitely all baby and I know that pregnancy weight is going to come off in no time, especially since you are planning to breast feed! I think that having patience in those final weeks would be one of the hardest parts of the pregnancy as I know you were so uncomfortable and ready to be done!

Popular Posts