What I'm Listening To

After our return from Europe, I was inspired to keep up the reading habit and utilize our library. So, one afternoon I reserved about five books I had been wanting to read, one of which happened to be in cd format. I've also been listening to a few fun podcasts lately that I thought you might like.

The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman
You may have heard of this book before and I'll admit it's a little cheesey, but if you're married or planning to be, there is some valuable content here. Through Gary's research and work with couples, he defines the five love language in which he believes everyone identifies closely with one of in their relationship. The five love languages are: words of affirmation, acts of service, receiving gifts, quality time, and physical touch.

Essentially, once you determine what your and your spouse's love languages are, you'll be able to show each other love in the way that means the most to them. So if your spouse's love language is acts of service, doing something like painting the bedroom or doing the laundry might be the best way to show them your love.

Podcasts for motivation
Lately I've found that I really enjoy listening to podcasts on occasion while I'm running or walking the dog. For some reason, this training cycle I've just felt pretty bored with running solo, so the podcasts help me get through those slog fests just a bit easier.


Honestly, I miss the days where I blissfully floated through a few hours with just my thoughts and the trail, but it's clear that I'm feeling a little burnt out and simply want some training buddies for those long runs.

While running, these are a few of the podcasts that have kept me entertained and focused while running. Just a tip: download a few podcasts before you leave the house so you're not using data while you listen.

The Lively Show
I have followed Jess Lively since her days of owning the JessLC jewelry company and then through her current venture helping people design a life with intention, whether it's in business or whatever big goals they may have. I have enjoyed all of the podcasts I've listened to because they typically feature entrepreneurs who have really taken some big risks and had some great results. One of my favorites is Jess's interview of Kendi Skeen, a Texan fashion blogger I follow.

Running on Om
I first found host Julia Hanlon on Instagram through some rabbit trail of Oiselle stalking I was doing. Julia interviews a wide range of runners young and old, yogis, and other health focused individuals. Here you'll find plenty of inspiration from other athletes and a wide range of thinking styles whether it  be about their training, nutrition needs or beyond.

The Jillian Michael's Show
Not everyone is a fan of Jillian Michaels, I know. However, I have been a fan of hers for a long time and believe the person you see on Biggest Loser is a bit skewed. Plus, the girl makes a mean workout routine!

This is the podcast in which I laugh out loud to on the trail or on a walk. Jillian and her co-host Janice are hilarious and are willing to talk about anything and everything. While there is some health focus to the show, I love that there isn't strict editing and they are just being real.

Do you have a favorite podcast? Spill the beans. 

Comments

I have only listened to one podcast and it was one that my friend was a guest on. In general, I don't feel like I am in one place long enough to listen to podcasts as I don't drive much and I don't listen to music when I run since I run with others! But if I did have a commute, I think I would definitely download some as the radio gets old fast!

Funny you mentioned the 5 love languages. Phil didn't want to take the test because he thought it was baloney but then he lost a bet with a friend and the wager was Phil having to take the test. So he did and his language (acts of service) was not what i would have guessed it would be. Mine is words of affirmation and that was dead last for him so that was kind of interesting...
Georgie said…
Hey Lauren! I just found you through Jess Lively's site. We have super similar tastes from looking at your blog - Jess's podcast and the Jillian Michaels' Show are my faves to listen to too :)

I'll have to check out Running On Om. One of my other favourites is Kimberly Snyder's Realize Yourself podcast. She hasn't done any new ones for a while but there's a heap of older ones to go through if you like them. Georgie

Popular Posts