Garmin, we need to have a little chat.

Tonight the Garmin 305 and I were at odds. EVERY time I looked down the Garmin read anywhere from an 8:30-10:30 pace when I was clearly running neary throw up pace (7:30-7:45 ish). Not okay.

Luckily, I can do math and just did a little subtraction to figure out my mile splits...a bit tough when running tempo pace, but doable. Perhaps I should attempt downloading that software update again. It's one thing when the G can't read splits under trees and clouds, but another thing when you're on a wide open trail.

The workout:
1 mi warm up
2 mi tempo (7:44, 7:30)
2 min rest
2 mi tempo (7:45, 7: 26)
1.6 mi cool down

When I got home, the Garmin read 52:33 of running. I decided I wanted it to read 1 full hour so I set off at a steady clip for one more mile around the neighborhood.

All in all, 7.6 mi down in 1 hr (w/ breaks obviously). It's nice to get that kind of mileage in on a week night w/ friends (and in the sun to boot)! After this morning's complaining, today turned out to be a beautiful day. I even got to enjoy it a bit as I was out and about most of the day for meetings. Tomorrow is supposed to get up to 70! Yowzas, I like those numbers.

In other news, my copy of The Ultimate Runner showed up on the door step today. I'm looking forward to reviewing it for you! This is a book brought to you by the Runner's Lounge gurus with help from a wide range of runners with advice and stories to tell from around the world.

Comments

Anonymous said…
great run! we all have those moments when we think our garmin is lying - when they just cannot be 10:00 miles, but yes, they truly are.
That is super annoying. Lately I have looked down at my Garmin & thought - is is possible I am maintaining this pace? And it has actually been right which stuns me! In a good way.

The weather has been horrible here lately. But I'm glad it's nice where you are! We are getting a dusting of snow tonight. Hello Mother Nature, it's May. Wtf?

Can't wait to hear what you think of that book!
Snow - in May?! Ugh. I'm definitely ready to give the cold weather a boot! And congrats on being speedier lately. It's always exciting to see that shift.
Anonymous said…
Ugh, those Garmins just don't behave sometimes. Which is pretty frustrating, considering what they cost ;) I have mine set so it *only* displays splits, total time and distance. I can't stand constantly checking it for my pace at that exact moment - and it's not usually very accurate anyway.

Hope the book is good!! I read about it on their site, seems pretty interesting :)

have a good weekend and enjoy the warmth!

Popular Posts