Dear Baby: 37 Weeks

Dear Baby,

Thirty-seven weeks now. Most days I waver between thinking you might come tomorrow (because you could) and then reminding myself you'll likely not come for another 2 or 3 weeks.

It's this weird place in parenthood feeling like you're standing at the edge of a waterfall just waiting to tip over. On the one hand, the baby clothes have been washed and folded, our infant carseat installed, my hospital bag is 90% packed, and the rocker, bouncy seat and swing covers have been washed.

But on the other hand, I did not purge half my closet like I dreamed of doing months ago, have not really scrubbed the fridge in far too long, need to wash the car, have not prepped and frozen meals and snacks ahead of time, have not scrubbed the baseboards and every square inch of this house... and on and on. Oh and I still have a few work projects I'd like to tidy up this week just in case you decide to make your debut early.

I also find myself wondering just how tired will we feel this time? As parents, Pete and I are now three years older, yet three years more the wiser (hopefully). I hope you're a good sleeper, yet I know that a nursing newborn often isn't that predictable, so I'm ready. I've found myself sort of weaning off of coffee more and more in the hopes that it will be there for me when I really need it at 4, 5 or 6 am.

I'll be honest that I'm really ready to be back in some of my normal clothes. Nearly nothing fits me and I literally want to throw my maternity jeans in a burn pile when they're no longer needed because they sag and bag within a matter of hours of wearing them post wash and dry.

As big as I am, I'm surprised how good I feel. Occasionally, there's a twinge in my low back or a nerve thing when you move a certain way, but otherwise I'm just tired. I'm no superhero, but I do credit being in shape prior and during pregnancy (as well as general luck of the draw) as to why I'm likely feeling this good. And yet, some days I wonder if it's even worth heading out for a walk or lifting weights at this point.

We took some family photos last week with my brother Max and his girlfriend Hannah. It was fun to do this and capture our little family of three before it grows to four.

Your big brother is really excited to meet you ASAP and I have a feeling will be really sweet with you, but lately I've been reminded that he's also still a little guy, bursting into tears when he hurts himself or someone hurts his feelings. Oh my heart.

Alright, I think that's it for now. I'm looking forward to taking a peak at you via ultrasound today and hearing your little heartbeat.

Lots of love,

mom

Comments

This is so sweet! I hope that baby #2 is a chill baby that sleeps well. It seems like the 2nd baby is easier. At least that’s been the experience many of my friends have had! Newborn exhaustion is no joke. Paul was a good sleeper so when we didn’t have to wake him to eat, we got a decent amount of sleep. But now that he is a bit older and more hungry, I’m not getting as much sleep so I am thankful that I’m still on maternity leave!

Here’s hoping the final weeks go by as fast or slow as you’d like them to!!

Popular Posts