Running Fireworks

In honor of the 4th of July, let's talk conflict, controversy, and commotion for Take it and Run Thursday!

Two things come to mind. One I partake in, the other I just can't. What are they? Snot rockets and running skirts!

The nitty gritty is that as a long distance runner, snot rockets (however gross they may seem when you're not running) are totally unavoidable at times. Without them, many of us would have the lovely liquid streaming down our faces, scaring every dog, child and person we come across. Afraid to try it? Go on a LONG run, I'm talking 8-10+ miles and head for the trails. When no one is around just try it. Trust me, it will be so much more satisfying to your nose than trying to sniff or wipe it away. It might be gross, but snot rockets were one of my greatest running discoveries, no joke.

And what's my deal with skirts? Truth is, I have friends who wear running skirts both in my group (and in the blogosphere), but I just can't seem to bring myself to wear one. I laughed the first time I saw them on the racks. And this is coming from a girl who played four years of lacrosse, yes, in a skirt (although it was required), sprinting up and down the field and even found it comfy at times. My problem with the running skirt is that a) the skirts have shorts under them, so why add more fabric to the whole mix when you could just wear shorts? and b) I think I'd feel a little less strong if I were running in a skirt.

For your own entertainment, please watch this hilarious Runner's World video on the running skirt phenomenon. Want more on running skirts? Click here!

Speak up! What are your running fireworks?

PS-Anyone else running on July 4th? I'm running the Butte to Butte 10k here in town with the manfriend. The first mile is straight uphill. And I'm still sick with a bad cold so I'm crossing my fingers I'm not hacking a lung and carrying kleenex with me on what's sure to be a hot race. Can't wait!

Happy 4th of July!

Comments

Jen Feeny said…
OMG I LOVED the video! I admittedly LOVE the skirts. There's just something about looking super girly as I'm smoking a bunch of guys at a race. LOL! As for the snot rockets... um... I'm just not that hardcore yet I guess. You go with your bad self! :) Good luck this weekend! Can't wait to read the race report!
Amber said…
I have a running skirt! Although, I'm yet to wear it RUNNING. It's a cute, fun, sporty thing to wear when I'm out and about on the weekends though.

Not gonna lie, I'm yet to do a snot rocket... Haha
sneakersister said…
That was a great video! Thanks for the link. I own two running skirts and I hate them. I bought them last summer to see what all the hype was about and try as I could to like them, I still can't stand running in them. Both models ride up on me and pretty soon I'm flashing the whole world the built in shorts underneath, which might as well be built in underwear the way they ride up on you. Yep! I'll run in the shorts over the skirts any day.

Enjoy your race.
Heather C said…
ooh good luck on your 10K!!! those are fun races - i hope you feel better by saturday so you can enjoy it :)

the snot rocket thing is sooo true. I always carry kleenex in the winter, but they don't do much. Running skirts? also with you!! I just can't bring myself to buy one. also -they're like $50-60 (or the ones I've seen are). uhh what?!
I hate running skirts. And this is coming from a girl who adores pink and considers herself very girly!!

Popular Posts