Week in Workouts + A Goal

Since the last trimester of my pregnancy, I've been itching to sign up for a race. You know, just to have something motivating to look forward to. But, it wasn't until a few weeks ago that I finally felt like my body finally caught up with my brain.

Over the last several weeks I have been slowly increasing my run intervals by doing "wogs" or walk/jogs. I started with :30 of each and slowly increased my running time until I was running 4 minutes at a time and then walking for :30. And finally, I felt strong enough to just GO for 10 minutes straight.

Shortly after that, I was able to knock out a few 3 mile runs without stopping, so I knew I was back in business!

hello, fall

Well, that was all the confidence booster I needed to put down the $$ and register. Okay, well that and the fact that our local EWEB Run to Stay Warm half marathon is affordable, proceeds go to a great cause, and it's in Eugene so I can realistically nurse Henry right before and after the race without too much hassle.

So, November 22, I have a little date with 13.1 miles of pavement!

And that goal, in case you hadn't guessed, is to simply finish the race and enjoy it. If I have to walk a bit, so be it. I definitely won't be setting a PR this year. --> Just looked this up -- the last time I PR'd the half was in 2010.

Last week's workouts:

Monday - 4 mile headlamp run (you do what you gotta do to fit in your miles)

Tuesday - 25 min yoga flow @ home

Wednesday - 3.5 mi a.m. run (before the manfriend left for work) + 20 min strength training

Thursday - 5 mi w/ speed work (.5 mile warm up, 4 x 800m @ 10K pace, 6 x 100m @ 5K pace + jogging 100m between each, 1 mile cool down). This was my second speed workout after having Henry and boy does it hurt, but I know it will help remind my legs how to run fast again.

Friday - 25 min full body strength + 1hr stroller walk

Saturday - 5.3 morning miles - First long run in a while; whoa hammies and quads.


Sunday - Rest

Thoughts on Training
I will say that training now is definitely an afterthought rather than the priority it used to be, and that's okay. However, the manfriend and I have agreed to try and make it work so that I can do the speed workouts every other Thursday. It requires him to meet me at the workout and do the baby swap, but it's nice to be able to do a group workout again and see my running buddies.

Also, this getting back into running shape thing really makes me wonder how in the world I ran on a trail for six hours in 80 and 90 degree temps. These days, a mile feels hard. Perspective.

Happy Friday, friends!

And good luck to Lisa who is running the Twin Cities Marathon tomorrow!

Sidenote: You probably heard about the shooting yesterday at Umpqua Community College in Roseburg, OR, just an hour or so south of Eugene. I can't even imagine what those families are going through. But I do know that now having a little one, it means something different. 

As I put Henry to sleep last night, I said a little prayer that he never experiences such violence. Yes, I want gun laws to change, but until then, I can only hope that putting good out into the world (in whatever capacity) makes some kind of difference.

Comments

Thanks so much for the good luck wishes! I am really excited and also really nervous - but mostly excited! :) It should be a perfect day for a race!

That is great that you signed up for a half! I am sure it will be nice to have a goal to work towards. Registering for a race is always so motivating and tends to get me out the door on days when I would have convinced myself to slack off otherwise! Having a goal of finishing is great and the right goal given all your body has been through this year!

I was so saddened to hear that yet another school shooting has happened. it's just so heart breaking and it seems like we are almost blasé about them compared to the reaction after Columbine... I mean people still get upset but it's not on the scale of magnitude of Columbine. Which is really sad but I guess a reality of the frequency with which they occur.
missris said…
I'm so impressed at how you're back at it already. Hooray for signing up for another race! I'm sure you're going to rock it :)
Leigh said…
Sounds like running is going well for you! I've thought about running a half, but just haven't wanted to commit yet. I wondered if the shooting was near you...it's so sad!
How fun that you signed up for a race! It will be interesting to see how this training schedule varies from your "normal" ones. I am sure there will be many more of those headlamp runs to come!

This year, and especially the last 6 months, have been a very strange and low training year for me. I got injured, then I overdid it, and then I just lost my motivation. These days, it's hard to get out for a 5 mile run. I just don't feel like doing it. Once I do, I feel great, but the focus just is not what it used to be. I used to prioritize running over everything (and everyone) but now I am spending time with friends/family, doing more things around the house and even doing more reading. It's strange, but it's satisfying in a different way!

I think that you are still a strong runner and this will prove that you are able to do many things at once, successfully! Good luck and have fun!
Amber said…
That shooting is so so so horrific and sad :(

That's awesome you have signed up for a race!!!! I think your workouts are pretty amazing for just having a baby a few months ago. Seems like you are fitting a lot in and from what I can tell based on reading them on your blog it certainly seems like your working out almost as much as you were pre-babe! Great job!!

Popular Posts