Black-bean and tomato quinoa

Thanks to the air miles of which I'll never build enough to actually get a free flight, I have subscribed (for a few hundred points each) to various magazines I would never purchase on my own, including Gourmet. While I don't like to spend a ton of time making a healthy, almost-vegetarian meal for just lil ole me, once in a while they actually have a recipe that sounds good and fairly easy to make. Plus, let's face it...salads become a little mundane day after day.

Tonight's venture was black-bean and tomato quinoa from my July issue of Gourmet. Like many of you, I had never heard of quinoa, but the picture reminded me of couscous. According to the mag, quinoa is a fast-cooking, protein-packed whole grain.

After my usual 7 mile Monday night run with the running group, I rode my bike home and prepared this delicious meal. The best part is, I have leftovers for lunch the rest of the week! I definitely give this recipe two thumbs up. It tasted great and was fairly easy to make.

Ingredients
2 teaspoons grated lime zest
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled (I only used 1 tbsp and it really doesn't need any)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup quinoa
1 (14- to 15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 medium tomatoes, diced
4 scallions, chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Preparation
Whisk together lime zest and juice, butter, oil, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4teaspoon pepper in a large bowl.

Wash quinoa in 3 changes of cold water in a bowl, draining in a sieve each time.

Cook quinoa in a medium pot of boiling salted water (1 tablespoon salt for 2 quarts water), uncovered, until almost tender, about 10 minutes. Drain in sieve, then set sieve in same pot with 1 inch of simmering water (water should not touch bottom of sieve). Cover quinoa with a folded kitchen towel, then cover sieve with a lid (don't worry if lid doesn't fit tightly) and steam over medium heat until tender, fluffy, and dry, about 10 minutes. Remove pot from heat and remove lid. Let stand, still covered with towel, 5 minutes.

Add quinoa to dressing and toss until dressing is absorbed, then stir in remaining ingredients and salt and pepper to taste.

Gourmet, July 2007

Comments

Popular Posts