The taper madness has definitely hit. The legs are anxious, the mind is jumping around like a little frog. I've experienced the following things in the last two days thanks to the taper. Welcome to my world.
You know it's taper week when...
- You walk to the grocery store near work at 3 pm because you can't get your mind off of a piece of dark chocolate. Chocolate emergency must be remedied! You come back with dark chocolate and dried mangos. #ilovesugar
- You have to tell yourself NOT to go to the gym.
- You take an extra walk with the dog because you're not supposed to run today.
- You feel exhausted and hungry and yet you haven't run yesterday or today.
- One moment you see yourself smashing your A goal out of the water, and the next you just hope to cross the finish line without a limp.
I'm currently working on 'trusting my training' like everyone says we marathoners should do. In the next five days, I plan to get my head to a place where I believe "I AM GOING TO REACH MY A GOAL" because I have trained hard and my body and my running are probably the best they have ever been. Period.
In my marathon panic mode, I came across this Runner's World article on Marathon Smarts. It's worth a read.