Spirit of the Marathon

Last Thurs I saw Spirit of the Marathon, playing in select theatres throughout N. America for one evening. It was great and inspired me to think about running a full marathon again some day soon. It's fun to be reminded of why we run and the high of that first time you trained for a marathon and realized what a feat you accomplished.

But, I have to admit that as much as I love running, professional runners tend to scare me. Watch this film and you'll see Deena Kastor (women's bronze medalist in the 2004 Athens marathon) looking skeleton-like, find out she's almost broken a bone in her foot and then power right through the injury and say she's "taking her rest time" by napping and sleeping well, in addition to cycling, running on a pool treadmill and keeping up with her strength training. She then goes on to win the 2005 Chicago marathon. I guess that's what it takes to be an elite athlete. Personally, I think it's unhealthy to will your body to do something it quite frankly shouldn't be doing. But, I guess that's what sets the professionals apart from us regular Joes.

As for me, I forged the snow we almost never get here in the northwest and ran my scheduled 10 miles yesterday. Definitely a little harder to run in snow that's not packed down when you're used to wet pavement or bark trails. But, it was an adventure.

Comments

Popular Posts