Six Weeks and Running

It's hard to imagine, but it's already been six weeks since Henry was born. Six weeks I haven't been packing around that 30 lb bump and have instead been carrying for and getting to know our little guy.


This week I had my six week postpartum visit with the midwife and everything checked out just fine. Things are almost healed and I have a normal amount of abdominal separation (diastasis recti), but she cleared me to start running (and exercising in general) again - wahoo!

I won't lie that I was half tempted to head home and put on my running shorts that night, but I haven't just yet. I did try to jog about 10 seconds last night and things definitely felt strange, so that return to running is going to be interesting to say the least. But I shouldn't be surprised as it's been 15 weeks or so since I last ran.

While I haven't been running yet, I did do my first strength workout! It wasn't all out or done at even close to 100 percent, but it's a start (and you've got to start somewhere, friends). While the manfriend was rocking and shushing (typical get baby to sleep method) Henry to sleep, I busted out this 15 minute strength workout.

Cute baby pic because why not?

It was handy that it just so happened to include plenty of upper body and core work, which I need a lot of and just a touch of lower body.

How did it feel?

My core felt all kinds of weak. And 8 lb dumbbells felt HEAVY. It's gonna be a while until those 10 lbers feel light again. And 15 lb? Not for a long time. And pushups are going to be done from the knees for a long time.

But that's okay. Until it feels natural again, I just need to remind myself that the progress will be slow and steady. There's no need to push myself regardless what my ego tells me.

It Takes a Village
We've all heard the saying it takes a village to raise a child. Well, I've already seen that to be true. In fact, it takes a small village to take care of a new little family.

My mom still has that baby whisperer in her

In reality, we could be getting along alright without the extra support, but there's no doubt that we are thriving as a result of the support we've received. (Ahem, thank you mom for coming down 2-3x per week to help out and snuggle Henry.)

From meals to chats to little gifts and people simply checking in with us, it's all been incredibly appreciated. It's amazing what little conversation (in person or over text/phone) can do or an out of the blue delivery of dinner.

It gives me a whole new perspective on what I should have brought those friends who already had babies. Food. Lots of food. And conversation (in person or via text/phone) because it's surprising what good a normal chat can do for a sleep deprived new parent. On those days when I'm holding, rocking, feeding, and changing a baby all day, something outside that realm is a welcome change.

This is all to say that while caring for a newborn is challenging, the manfriend and I have felt extremely supported. Thank you to everyone who has been there for us!

Just for Fun

Make these muffins. Thank me later. They taste delicious morning, noon, and night and the recipe only calls for 2 Tbsp of sugar. A friend made them for me and I've since whipped up another batch.

Read 16 Surprising Things About Parenting in the Netherlands. I have found Joanna's motherhood around the world series fascinating as it really does differ dramatically from one country to the next. One interesting fact about the Netherlands is that about 20 percent of births are done at home vs < 2% in the U.S. This reminds me that I'd like to reread Bringing up Bebe.

Okay, I think that's enough for now.

Happy Friday and enjoy your weekend! 

Comments

Amber said…
You look so great and I'm glad that all is good with your body and you've been cleared for exercise again! Just keep taking it easy and not pushing it too hard and you'll be back to a new normal in no time - that's the thing, it's all about the "new" normal now right :) Also so glad to hear your mom has been able to come down and help you guys out so much! I can see how the support would be so so great and helpful!

Also I cannot believe it has been 6 weeks already! Wow wow does time ever fly. We should facetime sometime soon, I'd love to "meet" little H :)
I'll echo what Amber said - you really do look great! Your body has been through so much so I can see why it feels different to come back to exercising. I'm sure you'll find your groove, though. It's always tough to come back to something after a long absence from it - I know that's how I felt when I started running again after taking about 8 months off. Just try to be patient with yourself - although I know that is easier said than done!

I am glad that you guys have so much support from family and friends! I am sure that makes a world of difference! And that is great that your mom has been able to help out - I'm sure she LOVES being able to do that for you!
Leigh said…
It's definitely not easy getting back into running and working out post baby, but takes it slow and it will all come back in no time. I promise! I can't get over how long his legs are! I'm with you on the food thing for new parents...that will be my go to anytime friends have babies now. A meal that can just be reheated is pure gold when you have a newborn!
Congrats! It's great to hear how well you're doing. You and the baby both look great. Take your time and take it easy! My sister just had a baby a couple weeks ago, so I really appreciate your tips.
Heather @ Dietitian on the Run said…
Love seeing more of him & hearing more about your recovery! So glad everything is going well thus far :) He's looking very happy to get to hang out with you!

Popular Posts