Pregnancy: 39 Weeks

Well, hello. How did we get here? You know, to the end, and so fast! And yet at the same time, it feels as though I've been pregnant forever.

June 2018 // 39 Weeks

Saying I'm 39 weeks + 5 days pregnant feels pretty surreal. A few weeks ago, I was feeling like I might go into labor early this time (Henry was 1 week late) because I was starting to get Braxton Hicks contractions and just generally felt huge. But now, I feel like I could easily be pregnant for another week.

37 weeks pregnant

A few weeks ago, we took one last little day trip to the coast as a family of three. The weather looked decent and I had my heart set on making it to the coast again before it becomes a lot more challenging (for a while anyway). It was a really fun day. 


How I'm Feeling
Baby boy is feeling very low, but I haven't had any contractions this week that I have noticed, so that's been interesting. Overall, I'm feeling fine other than some numbness and carpal tunnel-like symptoms that started last week. After googling and checking with the midwife, it seems this can be common near the end of pregnancy with an increase of fluids in the body. Regardless, it's annoying to have a tingling right hand all day long.

The arches of my feet are also sore at times due to the extra weight they're supporting. Sometimes it feels as though my fascia on the arch is going to tear. Yikes!



Last weekend we had a little park party for Henry's 3rd birthday. After a few not so great nights of sleep and then staying up late to grocery shop and wake up early to prep all the food, I got myself sick. I'm famous for overworking myself until my body forces me to surrender, so I'm trying to nip this cold/sinus infection in the butt. That being said, Henry loved celebrating his birthday and it was so worth it.

Lately, Henry has just seemed to be going through a lot of growth and change. Physically, yes, he continues to shoot up and get taller by the week, but mentally a lot is going on too.


We are deep in the "Why?" stage. While cute at first, it wears on you pretty quickly. He has also said some of the sweetest things lately and is clearly a little guy who is paying attention to his surroundings.

The other day I was frustrated that he wasn't doing what I had asked repeatedly as I was also trying to get out the door to go to work and he said to me "Mommy, I'll take your mad heart and you can have my heart." It was one of those moments that make you question why you were even getting mad in the first place. 💗

39 weeks pregnant

I've also noticed myself truly savoring these last little moments of just Henry and I together having a conversation, sharing a snack, going to the park or playing on the floor. It's definitely a sweet season of life and I know a lot will change for us both very soon. 

Friday was my last day of work before the little guy comes, so it's nice to have that behind me. It was just getting difficult physically to bend over to help customers with shoes and in this last week I started to really feel the pressure of the baby sitting on my pelvis, and not in a good way. 


Labor signs?
Already having a toddler at home and his birthday being June 5, I have noticed myself not wanting to do anything to encourage labor to start sooner. I haven't yet been sitting and bouncing on the yoga ball, I haven't done many squats this week, haven't gone to the store for primrose oil or raspberry leaf tea, etc. Although, I'm thinking spicy food sounds pretty good right about now. Perhaps a good excuse for Thai takeout soon? I've had a few stronger contractions in the last few days, but nothing consistent.

Baby is: the size of a small watermelon, weighing over 7 lb (my guess is he's at least 8 lb by now) and measuring 20" in length. He is moving a LOT this week. And now that he's so big and strong, the movements are often uncomfortable. His heart beat has regularly been in the 140s-150s during my check ups.

Baby prep: At this point, I've accepted that he is going to arrive anytime and we aren't going to be picture perfect "ready" like we were with Henry. It's just different. I'm juggling a lot more and we aren't making a nursery for baby boy as we plan for the boys to share a room after the little guy is old enough.

However, Pete painted the boys' room on Memorial Day, the hospital bag is packed (minus toiletries), I prepped some food for the freezer last week (breakfast burritos and oatmeal cookies) and I've mopped the house twice in the last week. Of course, I'd like to do more, but I'm not beating myself up over not doing #allthethings.

What I'm wearing: I have approx. four maternity t-shirts that still fit me and I've dug into Pete's stash of tees on occasion to wear something different. I also realized his Oregon Duck sweatshirt is extremely comfortable and fits me perfectly right now. I am beyond ready to burn my maternity jeans. I will not be wearing them postpartum, even if that means I have to go by some jeans that only fit for the next 6-9 months.

Exercise: I managed a 1 mile walk with a friend and the stroller on Monday and then a 2 mile neighborhood walk early Wednesday morning. It feels good to be moving, but I can't tell you how ready I am to be running again. I really miss the heart pounding, sore muscles, full body exhaustion feel.

Okay, I think that's all for now. Hope you are enjoying your weekend! 

Flashback: 39 Weeks Pregnant with Henry and 40 Weeks Pregnant with Henry 

Comments

You are so close to the end! I feel like those final days or weeks of waiting and wondering when the baby will come are agonizing. Although it’s different this time since you have Henry to distract you. Since I was induced I didn’t have to wait as long and knew we would have our baby by March 1st most likely.

My friend had the worse carpal tunnel during most of her pregnancy. She had to wear a brace at night and tried getting some injections. She is an OB so needed to manage the numbness so she could continue to do surgeries. It sounded awful! While my pregnancy was pretty crappy between my RA and the blood clot, I didn’t have any of the other typical side effects like swelling, nausea, heart burn, etc. so it could have been worse!!

Can’t wait to meet your little guy! I’m guessing he will be another Big Baby! And that commenting Henry about the mad heart is so darn cute!!

Popular Posts