Pregnancy: 18 Weeks

I will catch up. I will catch up. I will catch up. Easier said than done when life gets busy and pregnancy makes you especially tired. I'm currently 27 weeks pregnant. How did that happen? Anyway, read on for my recap of pregnancy around 18 weeks!

Eighteen weeks. Two weeks from twenty. It feels so official and well, halfway there. In the last few weeks, my baby bump has gone from this awkward shape to what is clearly a pregnant belly.

19 Week Bump

It's somewhat scary and somewhat a relief that I don't necessarily have to declare "BTW, I'm pregnant" to acquaintances. The belly is out there.

We're coming along, baby. Slowly, slowly, I'm gaining appreciation for this pregnancy and the life that will enter our world in less than six months.

I've also found myself more aware and appreciative of this pregnancy for the fact that it's likely the last time I'll be pregnant. While it definitely hasn't been rainbows and roses (it seems this is common with second, third, etc. pregnancies), I am reminding myself how lucky I am that getting pregnant has been relatively easy for my body. And I truly am lucky to be capable of carrying a child and bringing a new little life into the world.

One of my last pregnancy "runs"

Pregnancy this time around has been weird and awkward and just different. The baby is sitting much lower this time around making day to day activities less comfortable and running not so comfortable. During a four mile run/walk last Sunday, I looped back to the house to pee 5 minutes into the run and then took several walk breaks. The rest of the day, the ligaments in my pelvis were sore and it just seemed not worth it.

So, I'm not really running. I went out for a 25 minute walk later in the week and incorporated maybe 5 short running spurts and that is probably more where my body is at at this point. Instead, I'm planning on incorporating more weight lifting and body weight work indoors to get my heart rate up and stay strong. Plus, I want to make sure my baby holding muscles are plenty strong by June. ;)

The last two Thursdays, I've also been able to make it to my friend Lindsey's flow class at Mudra Yoga. While I can't do everything to my usual ability, it feels good to be moving, stretching and doing a bit of yoga. Plus, it's encouraged me to do a bit more stretching at home.


At my midwifery appointment this week, we got to hear the heart beat again (Pete's first time hearing it), which is always fun. It was at 162 and in the past has been in the 150s. Henry was the cutest. When the doppler picked up the baby's heartbeat, he was very focused just watching me, wide mouthed with a slight grin on his face.

A fun family beach trip on a sunny February day

Next Monday, we will have the big anatomy scan ultrasound, which I'm looking forward to. We are planning on finding out the sex too. Can't wait. Part of me would like to do a gender reveal, but part of me just wants to know and not have to look away half of the ultrasound.

A few stats as of late...

Weight gained: ~10 lb

Feeling: Less tired than first trimester, for sure, but heavy in the pelvis area with the baby so low

Workouts: Walks + a little run, yoga, 2 strength workouts

What I'm wearing: Maternity jeans (old) - H&M and a Motherhood Maternity brand, maternity tops and stretchy workout tops

Baby is: ~5.5" long and the size of a sweet potato or artichoke


How has your week been? What are you looking forward to in the next week or month?

I'm looking forward to a few fun weekend events, including a short trip to Central Oregon with the fan and the wedding of a high school friend in Seattle. 

Comments

We were lucky to get pregnant easily, too. That’s kind of all that went smoothly, though, as the pregnancy, delivery and BF’ing have all been hard and way harder than I expected. But at least we conceived him easily!

If we have another we will find out the gender. It will be nice to not have to look away during ultrasounds. We had so many since I was high risk due to my blood clot so I spent a lot of time looking away. We had a hard time telling what we were looking at, though, so I don’t know if I would have been able to tell what the gender was!!

Popular Posts