Wrapping up the first trimester

Good morning and happy Monday! I'm getting ready to do a little at home strength training and then walk with a friend (and Henry). As I type this, I can see a few white flakes falling from the sky. We are finally experiencing a little bit of winter here in Oregon! I'm crossing my fingers for a little bit more snow later this week. Currently, I am 23 weeks along, but recapping the end of my first trimester.

December 2017

Oh how time flies the second time around the pregnancy block! I had intentions of writing here around 11 weeks and then 12 weeks and now here we are at 13 weeks.

Because it's on my mind, let's talk about how pregnancy is different the second time around when you already have a little one.

Each week, I think about taking a bump photo, but then I realize a) Pete's not home to take one for me b) I look like a hot mess unshowered and in workout clothes c) I need to tend to a toddler's needs rather than spending 5 minutes trying to take a good bump photo d) I don't feel like taking a selfie because our old house just had "prettier" aesthetics for taking photos (i.e. hardwood floor, white trim). We're in a rental now.

Just when I'm firmly in one week, all of a sudden the calendar flips over to a new week of pregnancy. These first three months have flown by. I'm still hoping time slows down a bit for us to do more mental and physical prep for baby, but the reality is we'll just wing it and hang on for the ride.

In the 2.5 years since I was pregnant last, I forgot just how exhausting pregnancy was the first time around. There are many days where I really need a nap and am not able to get much of my Run Hub work done, which is frustrating.

My bump is indeed larger this time around. The two main factors in my opinion: Henry stretched out by ab muscles quite well and now I just don't have the time to do core work like I used to. My core strength is a sad glimmer of what it used to be.

13 weeks now


 vs. 13 weeks with Henry (December 2014)


Suffice it to say, last time it was nearly unnoticeable anything was happening at 13 weeks.

I waver between being excited about this new second tiny human we've always wanted and being terrified we just won't be able to handle it. Of course, I know we'll rise to the occasion, but every sweet moment playing Henry is a reminder that things will look different with a new baby in the mix.

Because Henry knows (we told him around 10 weeks right before we told my parents), he likes to kiss and hug the baby bump. 😊


How did we tell our family? We had a Thanksgiving brunch scheduled with my parents, grandparents, aunt, cousins and siblings when I was around 10+ weeks along. Henry wore his Big Brother shirt and we had him take the sonogram up to my parents and say "I'm going to be a big brother!" As people arrived, he went up to each person and shared his big news. It was a really fun way to tell everyone. That weekend, we also FaceTimed with Pete's parents to tell them our news.

So, what's new this week?
On Tuesday afternoon, I noticed a tiny bit of bleeding and a little cramping. Luckily, Pete happened to come home early from work that day and encouraged me to call the midwifery center. A bit later a nurse called back and asked me to come in to be checked by a midwife. Thankfully, all looked good with the baby - strong heart beat and it was moving around plenty. They referred me to get a higher level ultrasound the next day.

The ultrasound showed that I have a small subchorionic hemorrhage, which does increase the risk of miscarriage a bit and can cause early onset of labor. The doctor basically told me to take it easy for a bit and of course call if I had any reoccurring bleeding and cramping.

I'll just say that hearing I need to lay low/take it easy for a bit is just kind of annoying. On the one hand, I agree and understand the need and then on the other hand, I'd like more specific guidelines, like "no running, hiking, weight lifting, etc." for 2-3 weeks. When I asked about running, she just said not to do anything strenuous for a while. I'm glad I have another midwife appointment this week because I want to ask the question again.

I'll be honest, if I can't run the rest of this pregnancy, I might go crazy. Walks are fine, but they don't induce the endorphins like running does.

Looking back on this post and these reflections post bleeding, I realize it's a bit silly. At the time, those 2 weeks of laying low probably drove me a little batty, but in reality, it wasn't a big deal. I'm glad I followed doctor's orders and gave my body a bit of a break from exercise during this time.


During those two weeks, I did do this one family 4-mile jog/walk at the annual Over the River and Through the Woods 10K/4 Miler a running friend puts on (shown above). We walked for a while any time I got my heart rate up too much or I started feeling any discomfort.

Okay, that's all for the first trimester recaps! I'm planning on posting later this week and getting you caught up to current day in the next two weeks, hopefully.  

Hope your week is off to a great start! I know Mondays can be a big rough for everyone. 

Of possible interest: My First Trimester post from pregnancy #1

Comments

I know how scary the SCH can be. My bleeding was pretty much daily from weeks 7-11. It was never a lot of blood but seeing blood on a daily basis freaked me out. I completely stopped running and shifted to just going for walks. And then my RA flares set in around 10-11 weeks and then even going for long walks wasn't an option since I need to take it easy when I have flares. So this pregnancy ended up looking completely different than what I expected. I thought I'd be one of those women who was super active through her pregnancy but I've basically not worked out at all. I hope my return to working out isn't too bad after I'm cleared to workout again, though. I am pretty shocked that my weight gain has been on the low end, but I know the gestational diabetes diagnosis has been a factor in that as I pretty much haven't gained any weight in the 3rd trimester. So I guess that's one upside to having to think about every single thing I put in my mouth!

It's crazy how different women show in their 2nd and successive pregnancies! I guess your body just knows what to do the 2nd time around! I think you look adorable, though!
Amber said…
I think you look fantastic! I can't even imagine how hard it would be to be pregnant while also caring for a toddler. That would be tough. Can't believe you're already at 23 weeks - this pregnancy is flying by! Glad the SCH ended up not being serious, I was terrified to see blood during the first trimester and was sooo lucky I never did.

Popular Posts