So Big, Yet So Little

For whatever reason, I was feeling a little sappy today. Maybe it's the changing of the seasons. Enjoying these last mornings and days of sun and plenty of outdoor time. Maybe it's the idea of heading back to work full time. Maybe it's this sore throat and a lack of running thanks to a swollen ankle.

There wasn't anything in particular that made today a special one, but we toured a daycare and Henry wanted to stay.

We walked through a little dahlia garden near the Lane County Fairgrounds and I was in awe. There were dahlias bigger than my hand!


H fell on the pavement, cried, put his head on my shoulder and just wanted to be held for a while.

He fell asleep on the way home, just 3 minutes from the house. He let me pick him up, carry him inside, take off his shoes and transfer him to the crib for nap with no fuss.

 When toddlerhood sometimes feels like babyhood

After nap, he ate his PBJ middle first getting almond and peanut butter ALL over his face.

A little later, he pulled out an air popper we've never used and wanted me to open it. So, I cut open the box and we made some popcorn. How did I forget how much I like popcorn?


Before dinner he wanted to put on last year's Halloween costume and ran around in it a bit and then ate dinner in it. Granted, he can only put the wings on and wear it like a cape as he's grown much too tall for it. 

2016 Halloween

That's all to say it feels like while our little guy is growing up, he's still very young. For now, I'm holding on to these sweet moments because I know these years will go by in a flash and he won't always need me this much. 

This afternoon brought rain, so I'm already looking forward to the three days of sun we have coming this weekend. It's funny how even as an Oregonian, I forget just how much it rains here every year. 

Alright, time to hit the hay. Have a great week! 

Comments

Trisha said…
I feel so many of these very sentiments every single day, it seems. Watching my boys thin out and grow up makes me all sorts of weepy. Seeing them learn and grow more independent by the day makes me so proud, but also leaves me feeling a little unneeded at times. And while I know that they will still need me every day, for a very long time, I find myself really missing the baby stages, when they needed me constantly. Even though back then all I wanted was one minute of not having a baby attached to me. Motherhood is funny that way, isn't it?
I can see how parenting makes you so sentimental at times. You want your child to grow and develop and learn new things but it's also kind of sad when they exit a stage, especially one that includes lots of cuddle time! I'm glad he still has his cuddly moments! I didn't know you were considering going back to work full time - would you stay at the running store or do something different? I'll be curious to hear about this next phase of your career!

It's good that H liked the daycare center and didn't want to leave! We toured daycare centers when I was around 12-14 weeks pregnant (can't quite remember when, it's all such a blur). It's kind of hard to make a decision about daycare when you haven't even met your child yet! But wait lists for daycare are crazy long in our neighborhood. The daycare that is a block from our house has a 12-18 month waiting list! We ended up selecting a spanish immersion daycare that our friend's son goes to but they can't confirm if they have a spot for us yet. I'm such a planner so it's hard to not know for certain what we'll do about daycare when I return to work but I'm telling myself it will all work out. Worst case scenario, we will hire a nanny for a month or however long of a gap we have between when I return to work and when a spot opens. Phil's mom lives somewhat close so she could help out but I don't think she would want to do daycare every day for potentially 4+ weeks. I guess we will figure it out when the time comes!!
Amber said…
Aw I can only imagine how fast it goes. I still remember when you emailed us telling us you were pregnant with H! Time really flies. So glad you found a daycare he likes so much. I still don't know what we are going to do for daycare. Full time daycare is SO expensive and it's hard to find part-time spots for 12-month olds but I also don't want to ask family to watch the baby full time. Luckily I have a year to figure something out! When do you go back to work??
I am sure that each day is kind of a bittersweeet feeling, where you are glad that you have moved to the next phase, but sad that the phase is over. Even not having kids, I feel that way sometimes about life! Some days I "look up" and realize that months have gone by and I wonder how that happened and I hope I didn't miss something important while I was in the midst of living. I am sure that with a kid that feeling is tenfold.

Where and when are you starting full time work? That is exciting! Will you be working at the running store and/or be able to work from home at all?

Popular Posts