Marathon Training: Week 7

Okay, I'll be recapping two training weeks on the blog this week, so here goes week 7! As a reminder, I'm training for the Peterson Ridge Rumble 20 miler (April 9) and the Eugene Marathon (May 7).

And as it goes with running, I'm already thinking about what other races I would like to do: Ridgeline Ramble (13 miles of trail here in Eugene on Memorial Day weekend), MRTR 50K (because registration for the lottery starts April 1), Silver Falls Half (fills up the day reg opens), etc. And as the sun peaks out just a bit more here and there, I'm dreaming of a few weekend runs on trails I haven't explored, like the North Umpqua Trail.

Monday - 5 miles easy (9:28 avg) // I don't remember much about this run, other than being happy to be able to run in a tee and on the bark for a few miles.


Tuesday - 7.25 miles @ 8:55 avg + 6 x 100m strides on the track // For this run, I tried to stay closer to my race pace for a few miles, but there were some hills involved, so it was slower than race pace, but still a more concerted effort to feel out that pace. And strides? They're always fun because they're over before you know it!



Wednesday - 4.25 miles easy, stroller run // This was a nice and relaxed pace. It was only myself and another mama, so we just took it easy and did a bit of strength afterward back at the running store.

Thursday - a.m. upper body strength + p.m. speed work (7.3 miles total, workout: 8x800m alternating marathon and tempo pace) // It was a beautiful night for a workout on the track, but still pretty chilly out. As it goes running with others, I had a hard time really going slow enough on the marathon pace repeats.

Friday - 2.6 miles @ 8:51 avg + 15 min weights // This was technically supposed to be a rest day, but since I wasn't going to be able to run long on Saturday (manfriend working), it feels weird to take two rest days in a row, so I did an easy shakeout.


Because the whole fam bam was together on Friday, we watched the Ducks play in the first round of the NCAA tournament (they're now headed to the Final 4!), wore our green and then spectated the local Lucky Clover 5/10K. I really enjoy running this race, but because it wasn't on my training plan, I decided it would be better to go and cheer others on. Henry was practicing his running when he'd see other runners go by us.

Saturday - 20 min core work (this Sarah Fit video) + chores // This core workout left my core sore for 2-3 days! I also did a decent amount of house work, including sweeping, vacuuming, mopping, laundry, vacuuming out the car and cleaning bathrooms. My mom had Henry for a few hours, so I decided to live on the wild side and do some cleaning followed by a much needed pedicure.

Sunday - 15 mile trail run // I left the house shortly after 7:00 a.m. to get this run in before showering, eating and heading to work at the store. I also wore my new Brooks Calderas for the first time and had zero issues with them. Not even a blister.


Afterward, I refueled at home with coffee and an egg, cheese and veggie sandwich before racing off to work. 

Traffic was really busy at the store that day, which I think helped my legs from getting super sore. That eve, I made sure to do plenty of foam rolling on my legs, rear and feet. For the feet, I always use a lacrosse ball because they're harder and denser that most options and really seem to help keep issues at bay. 


What else? 
I've been thinking about macros and nutrient timing just a bit. I'm trying to be a bit more conscious of eating more protein and lower carbs first thing in the morning, especially.

Frankly, I don't have any interest in eating lentils, beans or protein powder at breakfast. I like eggs and often have them with Ezekiel toast w/ PB or AB, but then I'm left with lunch and dinner and it just gets old eating veggie pasta or rice/quinoa bowls.

Moral of the story is, I need to pick a few new recipes to try so I have something else to throw in the mix once in a while. Also, I need to get back into the swing of making black bean burgers, because YUM.

Happy Monday, friends! 

Comments

It is tough to get protein in when you aren't eating much meat and dairy. I hope you figure out a way to incorporate more protein in while keeping your meals interesting and delicious. We eat lots of lentils in our house, which I love. But I could not eat them for breakfast either!

If you want to switch up your morning routine, I recommend this egg bake: http://www.skinnytaste.com/veggie-ham-egg-and-cheese-bake/ You could just leave out the meat (I usually make it with chicken sausage but it's be great without meat). It reheats really well. You could add in more veggies to make up for the missing meat.

Nice work on another strong week of training! And I think cleaning totally should count as a workout!!

Popular Posts