Vacation already?

You know how you're often looking forward to a vacation thinking about how many weeks away it is and then all of a sudden... BAM! There it is. Well, that's how we're feeling about this vacation in T-minus 10 days. Granted, we are so excited and ready to be in Europe, but seriously, what happened to all those weeks I had to prepare at work and home?

Shockingly, I only reserved our London accommodations yesterday. Uh, yeah. That left us with few options and having to stay at two different spots, but that will just make everything more exciting, eh?

It was interesting to see that London is nearly double the cost of what most of our other hostels or hotels will be in other places. Oh well, it will be worth it when I'm sitting in a little pub grinning ear to ear.

Since we last spoke, I've decided that my weekend summer wardrobe requirements consist of a comfy Tar-get t-shirt (Merona vintage V-neck) and a pair of bright shorts (these are Gap).


What else happened since we last spoke? Well, some workouts for one. Last week I really got my bike on, which was fun for a change.

Week in workouts:

Monday - 26 mile bike ride w/ the manfriend. Highlights were the cows and a beast of a hill, but I was smiling nearly every second!

Tuesday - 11 mi roundtrip bike commute + power yoga

Wednesday - 3.25 a.m. miles + 23 mile bike ride w/ the manfriend

Thursday - 3 mi lunch run testing out the new Altras*


Friday - 3.5 mi neighborhood run + 20 min HIIT strength

Saturday - 10 miles on the Ridgeline Trail with Laurel. I forget how long runs always fly by with friends!

Sunday - 12 solo miles of road + hilly trail. Right hip was pretty cranky with me for the next 24 hrs. 


We also got to see the Oregon Coast (Newport, OR) on Saturday for a friend's wedding party. I made a point to put my feet in the sand even though we didn't have a ton of time to hang out.


There's just something about the feel of warm sand between your toes and the sound of waves rushing in and out. 

So much squinting


And finally, my favorite eats as of late (next to the fresh Ahi at the wedding party) have been these little appetizer plates I've made for dinner the past few nights; one night paired with a salad and another night a little egg scramble. 

Mmm... cheese. 

Do you have any rituals you do when you get to certain places? Do you plan things far ahead or are you more of a go with the flow kind of traveler? 

*Disclosure: I've been wanting to try out a pair of Altras for a while now. They offered me a discount on my purchase for a review in return. So keep your eyes peeled for a review in the near future!

Comments

Your vacation DID come fast! Wow! I can't wait to hear all about what you do! I know you guys will have an amazing time.

I ran with friends this weekend, too, and couldn't believe how fast the run went. We did 7.5 miles and ran at a slower pace than I usually do but it was nice to slow it down and chat for the whole run.

A ritual I have when I get to my parents' lake home is that I usually try to get out on the dock and relax for a bit if the weather is nice. As far as my travel style, I book my accommodations in advance and usually have a list of things I want to see/do but I don't make an agenda ahead of time. I used to make an agenda ahead of time but I have relaxed on planning as I have gotten older!
Jessica Jarrell said…
A few things-

1. You're getting so close to vacation! I bet you're excited! :)

2. I love those pink shorts. I'm on the hunt for a cute pair of coral bermudas but no luck so far.

3. That cheese plate? I'm hungry now! Looks super yummy.

Have a great trip Lauren!
Lindsey said…
Nice work with the bike rides! If I have time tonight I might try to ride to class.

Great photos from the coast! I'm interested to hear about the Altras. I have been thinking about getting a pair for a while too. And I'm due for a new pair of shoes, so I might try those.
missris said…
What do you do for a cranky hip? As my miles start to build up my right hip is also unhappy and I'm looking for solutions :) Anyway, exciting that your trip is so close! And you're right, London is expensive but it's totally worth it!
Cynthia said…
(Second try; hope this doesn't duplicate!)

Hopefully the nice weather we're having right now in London sticks around for you guys! If you're wanting to get a workout/bit of fun in while you're here, I'd recommend checking out a session of British Military Fitness. They're outdoor bootcamps, and such a good way to spend time in the parks. Hyde Park is my "home park" but I also love Hampstead Heath, as you also can get some great views of the city from certain spots (depending on where the instructor makes you run that session, of course). The first class is free as a trial, so surely they can't discriminate against you as being here on holiday ;)
Amber said…
Oh man the UK is EXPENSIVE. Since we spent time in Northern Ireland and Scotland 8 of our 13 days on our recent trip was in the UK and it was pricy. We spent almost as much on our two week vacation as we did on our three week vacation all over Europe!

It will be worth it though. I can't believe you leave in 10 days!!!!! That is so exciting!
Leigh said…
Did you happen to check out airbnb for a place in London? We stayed in a great flat and it was decently priced and pretty central. I can get you the info if you want it :)
Unknown said…
Looks like you’ve been living quite a healthy lifestyle the past few weeks, huh? Haha! I think going on a vacation in London is such a great idea. With all the great sights and all, I’m sure you guys will have a great time there! Looking forward to your post about it. Have a great vacay! :D
Jeff Riley @ Happy Guests Lodge

Popular Posts