Monday, August 19, 2013

Marathon Monday

Where are we at? Schedule says we've reached week 10 of 18. The rough plan we're following (and by following I mean only the weekend mileage), is my tried and true Marathon: The Ultimate Training Guide by Hal Higdon. We're following the intermediate-advanced plans, which has us getting up to 20 mile runs earlier than others.

But as we both had pretty decent fitness and running bases, I figured it would be just fine. Last week's runs were just so-so as I personally felt pretty crappy most days with being dizzy or off balance a lot. 

Monday - Lifeforce Fitness after work (box jumps are always so hard for me with having such tight hamstrings and weaker glutes - ugh), then ran 3.5 miles home from class. Talk about lead legs. But I took it easy and made it home just fine. 

Tuesday - Rest day, super dizzy, took a few hours sick time from work and rested. I did manage a 48 min yogaglo flow class because I was going crazy from sitting for so long. 

My little yogi candle

Wednesday - 2 miles easy in the am, 3 miles on the Ridgeline Trail after work

Thursday - Oregon Track Club 5K (free for members) at Dorris Ranch. It was pretty muggy out, but I tried to push it a bit running a 7:26 pace through the orchards. Ran another 3 miles for warm up/cool down. 

Friday - Took it easy: 20 min am strength

Saturday - 9.5 miles along the river path (supposed to be at marathon pace, but the legs weren't having it), followed by 30 min yogaglo flow

Humble warrior, yo

Sunday - Long run fun: 18.5 miles around Eugene. Ran half of the mileage on bark, ran slow, but completed it. Refueled with eggs, waffles and a cappuccino at Off the Waffle. Yum.


Other than the bark dust on his ankles, you can hardly tell this guy ran 19 miles. That's why you're getting a pic of him and not me. I did not look fresh as a daisy post run. He also naps better than I do. 

Yoga and Fitness Classes
For the last few months, I haven't gone to a yoga class other than Kira's on Saturdays and my at home YogaGlo sessions. I just don't love any of our studios here. But I've been getting the itch to take a few classes here and there. Instead, a Living Social deal came up for our local Barre3, so I'm going to take the four classes and see what I think. Sometimes, you just need a little change. 

I always enjoy Lifeforce Fitness, but it doesn't always fit into my schedule, so I go when I'm able. At $85 for a 10 class pass, it's by far one of the most affordable fitness classes in town and a great bang for your buck! If you haven't heard me talk about Lifeforce before, it's essentially a great overall strength workout that includes a yoga warm up and cool down, with a mix of strength and cardio exercises in between. I classify it as a bootcamp style workout.

How was your weekend? Have you tried a new-to-you fitness class lately?
I was in an unusually grumpy mood yesterday afternoon when I realized it was 3 p.m. and all we had done was finish a long run and eat. That impending feeling of the weekend slipping away from you isn't always easy to swallow. Oh well, five more days 'til the next one!

3 comments:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

The man friend really does look great post-run! I definitely am always looking like a hot mess so I am impressed with how good he looks!

Something new that I have tried is pilates. I work one-on-one with an instructor and use a machine called a reformer. unfortunately my tendinitis in my arms is so bad, I haven't been able to go the last 2 weeks. :( So I am doing a whole lot of nothing these days.

Tasha @Healthy Diva said...

I hate it when I realize the weekend was gone and I didn't accomplish as much as I would have liked. 5 days is always so long to wait for another one!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

I haven't tried any fitness class in a long, long time. Or any fitness for that matter! Yikes! I need to get active.