Where Oh Where Does the Weekend Go?

Yesterday started with a brutally early wake up call. The dog was being weird around 4am so I let her out and then couldn't fall back asleep. I ended up reading the first 50 or so pages of Two Kisses for Maddy before passing out for another 45 minutes. If you don't read Matt Logelin's blog, you should. He's hilarious and takes awesome photos of his daughter.

Then it was time to TRAIL run! By 7 am I was feeling groggy, yet ready to run in the cool temps. A little over two hours later, we had gone up and over some hills, stopped a few times to chat and returned to the parking lot with 12 miles tackled.

Chips were dug out immediately.
There's nothing like salt and fat after a hard run. And if you like spice, these jalepeno chips will have you coming back for more.
My running failure of the day was only having this 80 calorie gel and my watered down Gatorade with me for a 12 mile trail run. This was the first time in a long time that I was totally out of my runner fuel stash. Gotta stock up on shot bloks, larabars and other goods!

This was the first time I'd tried a Hammer Gel. I was surprised that I actually didn't mind the tropical flavor.
I was more than ready to devour those chips by the time the run was over. And then drove promptly home (after a pitstop for coffee and spinach) to eat some real food.

Then it was go-go-go! to pick up a gift, attend a bridal shower, go to the bank, whip up some quick food for a get together and bam, the day was done. I have a feeling I"m going to need a nap today.

I'm hoping today is more like this photo (i.e. slow going & easy) but the likelihood is doubtful. I have more miles to run and things to do...
The manfriend and I rode our old bikes to the grocery store Wednesday night. His basket is handy for things like several bags of groceries and basil plants I insist we must buy.

There's something about riding a bike to do errands that just makes you feel a little more carefree and childlike.

Do you plan your weekends full or do you demand some down time? For a scheduler like me, I'm starting to feel like I need to save 1-2 hr blocks of time each weekend just to be at home chilling out (laying on the couch, reading a book, taking a walk, organizing things, etc).

P.S. Happy Father's Day, pops and to all the amazing dads out there! I appreciate everything you've done for me over the years. You are a hard worker and I can attribute much of my work ethic and type A personality to you. :)

Comments

I hope you guys find some time to relax today! and maybe to pick up some extra runner fuel ;)

Bike baskets are so great - we need to invest in two of those, if we ever actually get cruisers!
Amber said…
I did that last weekend. 9.5 HILLY trail miles and I only had one gel and water. Not happy with myself!

I did 8.5 miles in the trails today and man oh man was I ever craving something SALTY after. A big delicious plate of nacho's satisfied that craving :)
You did have a busy weekend! Unless i am at my parents' cabin, my weekends tend to be packed! But this weekend at the cabin was extremely low key for me. I didn't move my car all weekend! Which was awesome. :)
Amber-Nachos...mmm. The manfriend and I are in constant search of our favorite nachos in town. We just have to make sure they don't put jalepenos on them before serving them or the manfriend will die a sweaty death. :)

Lisa - your weekend at the cabin sounds amazing. I Love those kinds of breaks.
Our weekends are usually jam packed as well but I make a point to have some time for chilling together in there somewhere. Sounds like a super busy weekend for you! Glad you got some time to yourself at the very end of it. ;)
Emily said…
trail running is no joke. you know what's even better than salt and fats after a tough workout? salt and fats DURING a tough workout! i definitely loaded up on my combos during my biking this weekend:)
Jen said…
You know, especially during the summer, weekends tend to be jam-packed, and whatever free time may be there Friday quickly gets scheduled. I do need downtime though to just decompress. I feel way too anxious when I don't get it!

Thanks for the travel budgeting advice on my post from last week! I know I need to be better about just setting a goal and doing what I need to do to reach for it.
Lindsey said…
I'm going to have to read Two Kisses for Maddy. I just checked out Matt's blog. Thanks for the suggestion!

The photo of the manfriend and his bike + basket is great! I usually try to schedule some down time on the weekend. But I like busy weekends too.

Popular Posts