Shepherd's Bean Pie Done Right

When I first saw Mama Pea's Tamale Pie recipe a few weeks ago, I starred it for future consumption. I knew it was riiight up my alley.

Just ask yourself this: Would I like veggie chili with cornbread baked on top? Yes, please!

After my terrible run last night, I needed a serious pick me up. Next to shopping, there's one thing that will relax me and lift my spirits: time in the kitchen whipping up something delicious.

Shepherd's Bean Pie
Recipe adapted from Mama Pea

Filling:
1/2 white onion
minced garlic
1 t chili powder
1/2 t salt
2 t apple cider vinegar
1 t maple syrup
1 can diced tomatoes, juice drained
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained

Cornbread topper:
2/3 c cornmeal
1/3 c whole wheat pastry flour
2 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
1/2 c milk
1 T maple syrup
2 T unsweetened applesauce
1 T white sugar
1 can corn, rinsed and drained
1/3 c cheddar cheese

*Can easily be made vegan by using non-dairy cheese and almond, rice or soy milk

Saute the onions in olive oil for a few minutes. Then add veggies and spices and continue cooking. Add apple cider vinegar, maple syrup and tomatoes. Heat on medium for another 5 min.

Spread out your bean filling in a large casserole dish and set aside.

Mix together the cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder and sugar.

In a measuring cup, add milk, maple syrup and applesauce. Mix it up and pour into dry cornmeal mixture.

Fold in the corn.

Spread cornbread mixture evenly over filling.

Step away, admire the shepherd's pie and all its beauty

Top with a bit of shredded cheese before baking. Yes, I'm rocking the sweaty clothes and sunglasses in the kitchen.

Just enough cheese to add a little flavor and let the beans bubble over.


Yum, take a bite.

The two of us nearly polished this off, but I saved two small pieces for us to enjoy tomorrow at lunch. I love leftovers!

I used black beans instead of pinto because that's what we had and I prefer the taste of black beans. And I didn't have tempeh and knew this meal would be amazing with or without it. For the cornbread, I added a bit more sweetener with an extra glug of maple syrup and a bit of white sugar. It wasn't sweet by any means, but tasted amazing on top of the black bean filling.

Would I make this again? Heck yes! The manfriend and I agreed we could eat this at least once a week. Mama Pea, I can't thank you enough.

Running note: my knee didn't hurt on last night's run, which was a plus. AND, I made sure to spend 10 minutes stretching and foam rolling the necessary parts.

Comments

Amber said…
That looks super delicious AND I think it would be a huge success in our house because Eric loves sheperds pie! Will need to try this!
Oh my gosh, I am totally sold on this recipe! I definitely need to give this a whirl and will just use vegan cheese and a GF flour. Yum!

Popular Posts