An 8:36 Kind of Day

This morning I diligently got to work on my strength circuit (M/W/F), following the Fitnessista's latest Summer Shape Up series. I'm still going strong on sticking with weights and cardio blasts three mornings a week to get these arms ripped for summer and wedding season.

Without fail, circuits do a great job of leaving me dripping wet in 25 minutes. Today I had time for 40 minutes, so I was able to do the entire shape up workout, including the ab burner session. It is no joke. My abs are still sore from Monday morning's workout!

Anywho, after a long day at work, I decided to bag my usual Lifeforce Fit class partly bc I've been sneezing a lot lately (can feel a stress cold coming on) and partly because I knew I already got in plenty of strength for today. But I always enjoy the class atmosphere, the extra motivation to do dreaded burpees and the yoga aspect so that's why I go.

The sun was shining so I put on my running clothes and headed to pre's trail for a semi easy run. Soon enough, the Garmin beeped "8:36." Not bad, I thought. I wonder what the next mile will be? Should I push it? Should I slow down?


Good memories from my fall visit to Seattle with my high school girlfriends. That hill was evil despite my deliriously happy grin.

The second mile came and sure enough "8:36" again. And you guessed it, my third mile was ALSO 8:36. Just call me "Steady Eddy."

I was starting to think that maybe the watch was doing a little funny business until it finally read "9:08" for my fourth mile and "9:40" for the fifth as I made my way up a few nearby hills.

5.55 miles - 49:15 + a few minutes spent in pigeon pose and runner's lunge to loosen up my tight hip

Well, I guess it's officially time to get back on the stretching, yoga, foam rolling wagon because I'm currently icing my knee. Little tweaks here and there all over my bod have been reminding me this week that I can't neglect those important recovery aspects of my running practice. Lord knows I don't want to get injured!

I have a 50K trail run AND the Victoria Marathon coming up in September and October!


Oh and a batch of these babies just came out of the oven. Mmm...

The occasion (not that we need one)? My little brother, Max graduates from high school tomorrow night!

Comments

Scarlett said…
Oh my goodness those brownies look delish. I'm so impressed with your operacion bikini (that's what they call it in Spain), I have to get on that train! I too want amazing arms for the summer months.
Oh wow - a 50k trail run? That is impressive. I somehow forgot that you were doing that!

Can't wait to rendezvous for Victoria. It's going to rock!!

Well done on the steady pace on those miles - 8:36 on the dot? Pretty unlikely to do that 3 miles in a row!
Ha, consistency shows up to the party! I'd be a little weary of Garmin-games, too. But nope, just Steady for the day :)

I did planks for the first time in a week or two today, already feeling that ab-sore. Highly doubt I could survive that core routine of yours!
Emily said…
you always make me wish i lived closer to you! we could do killer strength sessions and then eat brownies together! sigh...
Amber said…
Ha! That's so funny about your pace. Steady Eddy is right!!

Have fun at your brothers grad - my "little" brother is graduating high school at the end of June and then taking off to Africa for three weeks! Eep! Can't believe how grown up he is!
Lindsey said…
If there is one thing I have learned from this injury, it's that rest/recovery days are important! Be careful... don't end up injured like me!
Run Jess Run said…
I got a stress cold and just got over it. Hope you don't catch it!
Raquelita said…
Are you loving the new Garmin? I'm so tempted by it right now as it's been on special on amazon.

Hope you can avoid the cold and stay injury free with the yoga and foam rolling!

Popular Posts