Creatures of Habit

We are. We like the routine, the flow of life as we expect it. Well, I do anyway. Maybe you're one of those uber spontaneous up for anything at any time types?

Just as I was semi dreading moving into my new office today (we moved from a very old building to a brand spankin' new one), I read one of Tina's ever-inspiring posts about not wasting a single moment in life on things that take away your joy. And like that, I was reminded that although change isn't easy, especially when it comes to the place you spend at least eight hours a day, it's not the worst thing in the world.

After all, we're moving into a state of the art, beautiful building that's close to a local market and will offer a lot of new opportunities for our organization. Wasting my time dreading the change isn't worth it. It simply isn't. There's nothing I can do about it and frankly, it forces me to learn how to adjust in new situations and get creative.

This reflection on "life's too short to waste a moment" also had me thinking about the special people and events in my life I've been fretting over.

Summer is coming quickly and nearly every weekend is already scheduled with a wedding, bridal shower, 10 year high school reunion (eeps!), bachelorette, work event, relay race, etc.

As I've been trying to mentally prepare for my McKenzie River Trail run training, I realized it's going to be quite the challenge to fit in 3-4 hour runs every weekend when I've got these 'can't miss' plans. But instead of inflicting a state of panic over my summer before it's even begun, why not take a different approach?

Why not decide that no matter what, I'm going to enjoy the summer? I'm going to fit in the runs (even if it means waking up at 5 or 6 am on a Saturday out of town) AND be present and happy at all of these monumental events.

This summer, I'm vowing to:
-enjoy the sundress and sandals weather
-bask in the celebration of my friends who are getting married
-feel lucky when I meet my friend's first baby
-appreciate the fact that my body can run these miles
-love that I live in such a beautiful part of the world
-have a lot of good laughs with the manfriend
-tickle my feet in the grass at an outdoor music concert
-enjoy a few glasses of wine/beer on a patio in the sun
-say thank you to my body now and then (cuz it has a whole lotta work to do this summer)



Life's too short not to stop and smell the roses once in a while.

What thing have you been wasting too much negative energy on? How can you change your thoughts about it or find something new and exciting to focus on?

Comments

I have wasted a whole lot of negative energy on this upcoming test. mostly because I worry that i am putting all of these hours in and potentially might not pass. But I really should have more of a positive attitude. I've done the work. I should pass the test.

This summer i want to enjoy weekends at the cabin with my family, long runs around the local lakes and along trails, and focus on the positive aspects of living in Minneapolis. And hopefully I will move downtown!!
Amber said…
Love this post! I am definitely determined to have a really good summer also. Last summer was devoted to marathon training and even though I *considered* a fall marathon for this year I decided I'd rather have a FUN summer instead. Of course with Eric working every single saturday and sunday that might be harder said than done but I'm gonna try :D
J said…
I am going to enjoy the summer! And I will try to buy and actually wear a sundress. I have a few dresses that I have never worn because I always feel weird in them, but dresses are the perfect thing for summer!
Raquelita said…
Yes! Recently I decided not to attach a pace goal to my second marathon and to just enjoy the experience of it instead. I often worry about the future, especially my career, so much that I forget to focus on the present. I need to stop doing that so much and work on being more present.
PIC said…
Please include on that summer list that you will enjoy having your PIC closer to you and vow that you will see each other more often!
Wow, Sass, did I need to read this :) Funny how these things find us at the right time. I hope your office move went well - I'd be stoked about being in a new space and a new building! Ha, I love that kind of change, but we're all different. Hopefully you are learning to love it, too.

Things I've wasted energy on - money and stability here. And the attitude we attach to it, which I'm working on seeing in a different light. After a long search, we finally found an apartment we're both So excited about. Now we're working on not stressing about the money and commitment! It WILL all work out, for the best :)

Popular Posts