80 and Fabulous!

A few weeks ago, we celebrated my grandpa's 80th birthday on a sunny afternoon with most of my mom's side of the family. I'm lucky to have such active and vibrant grandparents and am thankful for their presence in my life.

At 80 years old, my grandfather Art (gramps to me) takes daily walks with my grandma, can operate his 25' sailboat in any weather, tells a few good (or bad) jokes and even maintains his ministry work with enewsletters, weddings and memorial services.

My grandparents are travelers. While they reside in Corvallis, OR (about 45 min from Eugene), they spend about four months of the year in the Puget Sound where they have a few rustic cabins and an outdoor kitchen. And when they are home, they are often planning a road trip somewhere in the near future.

One of the keys to a good party: easy, delicious food. Gourmet pizza and my favorite Costco turkey cranberry wraps. Mmm...


My mom put a bunch of great photos up of my gramps. See that chubby cheeked orange hoodie kid on his shoulders? That's me!

Bad bangs and crimped looking hair? Me again!

My grandparents love their red wine and celebrate happy hour with fresh veggies, crackers and dip regularly.

It's not a family get together without a little brotherly wrestling.


The grandkids, spouses and gramps


Oh and I almost forgot, this was the afternoon of the day I ran the Eugene Marathon course. Surprisingly, I didn't even feel like I had pounded out 26.2 earlier that day! I'll take that as a good sign.

Happy 80th Birthday, Gramps! I hope to be as vibrant, youthful and embracing life just as much as you and grams do. My favorite part is that in addition to their frequent getaways, they always plan one trip a year to Baja, Mexico to soak up the sun, enjoy daily siestas and eat delicious Mexican food.

Doesn't a beach vacation sound fabulous right now? We're still having rain and cool temps here in Oregon. I'm so ready for summer weather to be here.

Comments

Happy Birthday to your Grandpa! He sounds like quite a special man. My grandfather was also still very active and healthy at 80. And he had the sharpest mind. We are blessed to have had our grandparents in our lives as long as we have. I miss my grandpa every day (he passed 2 years ago), but I am thankful for all the memories - esp the ones formed during my adult life!

And wow - super impressed that you went to this celebration AFTER running 26.2. Holy moley! Well done, you!
Gracie said…
Wow, your grandparents look healthy and chipper. Happy birthday to grandpa!
Amber said…
What a wonderful celebration! Your grandparents both do look so healthy - that's wonderful! Happy Birthday to your grandpa :)
Raquelita said…
It looks like a great party! Your grandparents look so vital and healthy and happy! I hope I can look half so good when I'm 80!

Popular Posts