I wouldn't say this stuff is necessarily new, but the article has enough frightening evidence to make you think twice about microwaving your food in a plastic dish, using just any old makeup and buying the cheapest shower curtain you can. Evidence that shows some of these chemicals we come across every day could be affecting women's fertility and even weight as they confuse the body as something they're not.
Straight from the article:
Three Chemicals to Know (and how to avoid them)
1. Bisphenol A (BPA) - used in many plastics. Human studies have linked it to fertility problems and heart disease. To avoid it, don't microwave food in plastic containers, and choose glass over canned goods.
2. Phthalates - used to make plastics more flexible, found in some cosmetics, air fresheners and cleaning products. Research suggests that some phthalates contribute to weight gain and may interfere with male-type hormones (like testosterone) found in both men's and women's bodies. To avoid it, buy fragrance-free products (and read labels).
3. Tributyltin - used to preserve boats and a component of PVC, which can end up in your shower curtains. TBT may turn stem cells into fat cells. Avoid it by buying PVS-free plastics.
Anywho, that was just a quick and dirty example of what some of the article mentioned. There are several scarier points that made me freak out (and contemplate never buying canned goods again). Yep, many cans have BPA in them as well! Oh goody, as if I wasn't paranoid enough already!
On another, more uplifting note, I got a good sweat session on last night that is sure to leave my arms sore for a day or two. I worked late so I missed Lifeforce, but decided to do my own little circuit style strength workout at home. I used a few of the fitnessista's workouts and added in some extra special moves here and there.
Here's what kept me sweating for 45 minutes straight:
- 5 minutes straight of jump roping
- 1 round Winter Shape Up 2010 - Intermediate/Adv
- extra credit burpees
- 1 round Monday BANG workout
- left and right step ups on to a chair (15 reps per leg, 2 sets per leg)
- alternating jumping lunges
I even managed a few minutes of necessary stretching afterward!
For some other killer Fitnessista approved workouts, check out her 2011 Winter Shape Up workouts. Gina's workouts are some of my favorites because they get you sweating in no time, they're free and they don't take much more than a set of dumbbells and a balance/ab ball.
On a COOKIE note: If you're looking for a fairly healthy cookie to make this week(end), Angela's Ultimate Vegan Oatmeal Raisin Cookies are worth your time. Sometimes I'm shocked at how good vegan baked goods can taste without butter and eggs!
Does anyone have a good health/fitness/food/other article to share with the group? I also read another good article, Time for the truth about Gardasil. That series of three wonder shots to protect young women from getting cervical cancer may be to blame for some cases of serious illness and even death.
And with that, I hope the links you all leave me are to articles about puppies and sunshine...