Swim, bike, run

Last night I hopped into the pool after a busy day at work. It was just what I needed, even though I really wasn't looking forward to it. The water was cold, I had to share my lane with a few others and I just wasn't feeling it.

But a few laps in, I was warmed up and the circle swimming was working properly. I did 2 x 500 yards, 100 yards with buoy between the sets, and finally a cool down. 45 minutes later I was feeling much better about the swimming and had just enough time to hop on the bike. And 25 minutes of spinning later, I had me a little brick workout!

The goal is to do a proper brick workout on Saturday including a ride and then run, which is typically tough because your toes are freezing from the ride and your legs feel like logs. Usually, it takes me about 1.5 miles to get into the running mode. And when the running portion is only 5k, that doesn't make for much time running with warm legs.

"Bricks refer to training on two disciplines during the same workout, with little or no interruption..."

"About a swim/bike brick: while you are swimming you will want to use your legs as little as possible or else you may have a hard time when you get on your bike before you start feeling comfortable. "

"Even more important are bike/run bricks, mainly because the transition between bike and run is the toughest of the two during a triathlon."


Sample bike/run brick: 3-4 x (5 miles bike/1 mile run)
I was originally planning to do a longer ride followed by a 3 mile run, but after seeing this suggestion, I may just try the smaller increments and see how I feel.

For more information on brick workouts, check out this article from Beginner Triathlete.

Someone is currently finishing off the last of his first ever self baked Betty Crocker yellow cake with chocolate frosting. If I have anything to do with it, the next time will be from scratch (well, at least the frosting).

The manfriend and I watched Toy Story 3 tonight. While I'm not usually into animated movies, sometimes it's fun to be a kid again. My favorite newer kids movie is Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. Sandlot is another one I could watch over and over again. What's your favorite kids' movie?

THURSDAY ALERT: Have you filled out your bracket? Are you wearing green for St. Patty's Day? Double yep for me!

Comments

siri said…
Labrynth! p.s. i love the image of your frog legs.
My fave kids movie is Ratatouille! Love that movie.

I did fill out a bracket. But I am not wearing green - I don't own anything green! It looks bad with my skin tone - I end up looking green when I wear green!
Lindsey said…
Great job getting in the pool! I just finished my morning pool workout. It's always hard to get to the pool but I'm always glad I got the workout in once it's over! No green for me today... I totally forgot.
Emily said…
I could definitely be bffs with the manfriend. That's my kind of cake AND my way to eat it.

I'm so bad about brick workouts. I do plenty of doubles in a day but really just don't do a lot of bricks. Love that your tri training is kicking off strong!
Michelle said…
The Sandlot is one of my favorites, too! Lotioning and oiling...oiling and loitioning....ah haha! LOVE IT! I spaced on filling out my bracket and I'm such a bandwagon jumper for March madness. I could really care less but the games are so intense that you can't help but get excited. There's something special about watching college kids compete (versus pros). They truly give it their all and leave everything on the court. Maybe it's because I played a sport in college, but I always get a little sentimental during big tournaments.

I'm impressed that you're going to do a brick this weekend. I'm happy to do a double-day, but a brick seems a lot more intense.
Nice work on the Brick!!

And um, I think its safe to assume he killed that cake in one sitting?? Haha, I wouldn't put it past a cyclist...

My favorite NEW kids movie is Despicable Me (Cloud is also hilarious)! So soo cute. Favorites from our "era" - Parent Trap (oh yes, Lohan style), and definitely The Sandlot (classic).

Popular Posts