The Mountain over Mileage

My long weekend was spent at Sunriver, a resort in central Oregon that is situated just 20 minutes from one of the best ski resorts around, Mt. Bachelor.



I rarely make the time to get to the mountain because of the time it involves (preparing, driving, skiing, driving home) and the $$! After gas, a lift ticket and food for the day, you've easily spent $100.

But this weekend was the perfect excuse to shell out the money and unplug. To avoid any google reader urges, I left my laptop at home! But no worries, the camera was right beside me.

Saturday, I spent a few fun hours with the girls cross country skiing and then followed it up with a self-lead yoga session to please my aching right knee. Sunday, my friend D and I went to Mt. Bachelor for some downhill skiing (my true skiing love). I skied on my high school's team so many weekends were spent at the mountain training on gates and courses.


Sunday, evening, the only thing keeping my running urges at bay was the exhaustion taking over my body. Intelligently, I listened and hung out on the couch at the rental house enjoying a serious girl talk session.

And as if to say thank you for not running, we were gifted a dusting of snow to which I happily forged out and completed a four mile run with the sunrise Monday morning. It was one of many moments this weekend where the voice inside me whispered "Now isn't this perfection? There's nowhere else I'd rather be."



Three day weekends feel simply luxurious. It's just enough extra time to feel like you really had time to unwind. Yesterday, D and I drove back to Eugene, but were tempted by 60 degree temps and beautiful scenery and just HAD to stop for a little 40 min run along the McKenzie River Trail. It was fabulous. Two runs in one day? Yup! That's how I make up for not running Friday-Sunday.

I should also mention, we ate well. Really well. Get 15 hungry runners together in two houses after a long day in the snow and let the food making and inhaling begin!




As you can imagine, it's hard to come back to reality. But I hope a good pool swim and some spinning will get my mind back in this tri training mode. This weekend also includes my longest training run for the Peterson Ridge Rumble so let's hope these legs (and the knee) are feeling up for it!

I'm hesitant to take a few days off running (both mentally and physically), but find that it's more helpful than I imagine in healing my body and making it stronger for what's to come. I no longer consider any run "junk miles" because I feel that each run has it's purpose and shouldn't be treated as junk. As much as I need those non running days, they tend to leave me craving mileage . How are you at giving your body the rest it needs/wants?

Comments

Emily said…
Looks like a blast of a weekend. I love skiing and it's been so long since I've been!

I give myself a solid C+ for giving my body what it needs. Definitely room for improvement.
Bryon said…
The salad look amazing..... Fresh and crisp!!!!
Amber said…
Basically that sounds like the PERFECT weekend! Looks amazing too!

I didn't know you downhill skied, how cool! You were (and still are!!) so athletic :)
What an awesome weekend. Those pictures are gorgeous! You are so fortunate to live in such a beautiful part of the country!

I didn't know you downhill skiied either! Very cool! I didn't learn until I was 20 so I am a bit of a chicken on skiis, but I do really enjoy it (and man it is a great work out!).
Danielle said…
Awesome photo montage! What a great weekend!
J said…
I got your comment on my post and my "flats" are my dansko clogs too! I love them! They are so comfy and make my feel good while giving me a slight lift too!
Anonymous said…
that food looks incredible! look forward to hearing abut your transition back into tri training mode--I need to do the same but I'm such a swim-hater!

Popular Posts