Lunchtime cardio blast

You know those days when you just don't have time before or after work to hit the gym or a workout class (or don't want to wake up early for that matter)? Well, that's when I resort to a quick lunchtime workout. While it sounds like a hassle, I actually enjoy these little blasts of exercise!

While I can't rely on these short workouts for all of my race training, it definitely helps on those days I need to blow off steam or just fit in a workout. I also find that I enjoy the challenge of fitting in a lot of exercise into a small window of time.

Here's what I crammed in today:

5 min abs/push ups (alternating push ups and ab pikes on the ball)
25 min treadmill intervals (4 x 3-6% grade hills, 2-5 min each + 2 speed blasts)
11 min spinning (1 minute warm up, 9 mill gradual hill climb, 1 min cool down)
5 min streeeetch

I have the luxury of being able to walk to the gym in 7 minutes, but I realize that not everyone is so lucky. On days it's nice outside, you could get a similarly great workout in while also getting some Vitamin D! Just head for a running path, neighborhood with fun houses to look at, or some hills and you could easily get in an interval workout with some push ups/abs/lunges tacked on at the end.

And yes, I'm totally fine with taking a "sink bath" and just wiping down your face, arms and legs after a run as my office doesn't have a shower. No shower needed. Thanks, Emily for also believing you don't have to shower after a lunch run. :)

Do you love/hate the treadmill? I actually don't mind it most of the time, but I use one only a few times a month. My longest run on the t-mill was 11 miles one holiday break when I just didn't feel like being outside and I had to get my training run in. It works in a pinch!

Comments

Amber said…
I did a quick lunchtime workout today and it was GREAT! It is now 3:30 PM and I'm not suffering from the afternoon slump I usually hit.

Unfortunately for me the gym is a 10 minute drive away from work and by the time I did my 35 minute workout, showered and drove back to the office I was gone for 1.5 hours. So definitely not an every day thing but I think I'll start trying to do it once a week or so!
Always impressive what you manage to squeeze into those short time windows! :)

I'm all for getting in a workout, no matter the type or length, on a busy day! Every little bit counts, and it Always makes ya feel better for sticking to a routine!

I don't hate the treadmill, but also haven't run on one in over a year now. So...I might answer that differently if I had to resort to it ;)
Very impressive! I am always impressed when people can fit in a workout over lunch. For me, it's just not possible because I would HAVE to take a shower since I sweat so much when I run!

I don't care for the treadmill. I don't mind runnign on it occasionally, but right now it's too cold/dark out to run before/after work so it's my only viable/safe option (for me, I know some people are ok w/ running in the dark, but I'm not!). I am hoping that it is warm enough this weekend to do my 6 mile run outdoors!
Mandy said…
Hi Lauren! I just found your blog. :) I'd have to say I can do the treadmill. It definitely makes my run/walks go a lot faster when I can watch a movie or t.v. show. I can't wait to check out more of your blog! :D
Lauren said…
Amber - nice work on the lunchtime workout! Sometimes that extra 30 min is worth it.

Heather-I'm impressed! That's a long time to not be forced to run indoors!

Lisa-Yeah, you're probably the smarter one of us. I feel kind of invinceable sometimes when I'm running (even in the dark).

Mandy-Thanks for stopping by!
Lindsey said…
Nice! I like running on my lunch break. I usually do it 3 times a week. We have a shower at work so it's nice to have the option to take one. However, if I'm really busy at work sometimes I just get back from running and start working again!

I'm not a huge fan of treadmills but I haven't run on one in years (I haven't had a gym membership for a while).
J said…
I totally wanted to do a lunch workout today but didn't have enough time to pull everything together since my work does not have showers :( We have a gym close by I could walk to I guess but I have yet to do that.
Anonymous said…
I'm all about the lunch run. I usually get in about 3 a week, frequently on the treamill at the gym (45 min. is my usual time). And, I don't shower either (shhhh....). With the kiddos, lunch runs are the only time I can be sure I'll get in a run during the week.
I like the treadmill right now but I imagine for long runs I won't care for it. We'll see as I become more of a "runner". I don't know when I will consider myself one though!

Your lunch workout looks fabulous!

Popular Posts