Toot your own horn.

My coworkers think it's an amazing feat that I train for and run these marathons. In fact, the question from one coworker about how my run went this weekend turned into a 15 minute conversation about running and fitness in general with a few other coworkers. Don't get me wrong, I love talking about exercise and running and I could happily do it all day long.

The bottom line is, I just run these miles for me. I don't think they're anything special. After all, I have an entire running group and blogosphere that shows me they're perfectly normal.

But to the average Joe, marathons and running a distance of 13-26 miles (and beyond) is near insanity.

A different thing happens at work. I do something good, I don't really want to talk about it. But damn it, I want the recognition for it. After so many of these "successes," I want to see the needle move or the $ on the paycheck rise. Do you know what I mean?

And do you know why I want to see the needle move and get some recognition? Because those successes I have at work are not just for ME. They're for someone else. And that's totally fine, but all the same I still want the shout out.

However you swing it, you're I'm not going to get the props until you start boasting yourself I start asking for it. That's how the real show stoppers get THE JOB. It's at this point, I also want to say it's perfectly fine if what you want is to be employed and not continue up the food chain. It's also perfectly okay if you want to be employed by a few little angels that demand every moment of your time and pay in nothing but hugs and slobber. Honestly, it's fine.

And to whomever shared this via facebook today, it was JUST what I needed. Stop thinking you can't be in charge and you shouldn't be at the table. Your voice matters.

And any man who watches this - you are now required to put in EQUAL share of the housework and childcare you and your spouse may be responsible for. Okay? Thanks.

Awesome talk by Sheryl Sandberg - COO of Facebook (married to David Goldberg, CEO of Survey Monkey) Talk about a powerhouse!

Excuse me, I'm off to find my horn...

Comments

Haley said…
I love this, thanks for sharing!
Amber said…
Awesome post! I am a pretty modest person and tend to get kind of embarrassed when people compliment me and say they are "inspired" by me or whatever. Because I just do what I do because I like it :) But you're right, we should toot our own horns more often!
As you embark on career/life changes, this is EXACTLY The kind of attitude you need to embrace! :) And rightfully so - those miles certainly don't run themselves, and that work you put time and energy into should never go unnoticed (on the pavement or in the office). Be ready to boast, and set humble aside. ;)
liz said…
Lauren,
This video was so pertinent to the discussion we had in my Leadership Skills class on Monday! I actually sent it to my professor! I wish Sandy would have gone into more detail on how to balance that fine line of being vocal vs being perceived...not so pleasantly, but I guess 15 minutes can't even begin to cover what to do about it! It's a great start, thanks for sharing!
Emily said…
I like where your head is at. I share your thoughts like whoa!
Liz-I agree, there were parts I really wanted to hear more on. Clearly the lady has done her homework and a lot of reading.
Great post! It's tough to find ways to highlight what you've done, but it's important to highlight your achievements. I struggle with this as well as I would never want to come off at braggy...

I am getting caught up on posts as I am so behind from being gone this weekend - love your new mixer! The color is fabulous!!

Popular Posts