Hills: Love or hate?

On my lunch break as I was trudging up a hill to do my short Wednesday trail run, I thought "do I love this right now or hate it?" One second I'm cursing the hill at how slow I'm running and the next I find myself saying "It's okay, this is slowly getting easier." and "At least this is really good for building my glute strength back up." And then out of nowhere "Oh, this is fun!" <--This is usually reserved for the downhills in which I feel like I'm flying.

Love 'em or hate 'em, they're supposedly pretty darn good for not only strengthening your hill running but also increasing your speed on the flats!

A few ways to increase speed
Top ten ways to improve your race performance
To race well on hills you've gotta train on hills
How to learn to love hills

I have to thank Michelle for getting me a little more focused on the hilly trails. Because I joined her on some fun trail runs, I was inspired to run more toward and up the hills (than away from them) and ultimately sign up for that 20 mile trail race. While it hurts A LOT at the time, it feels so good when you're done. I guess that's the case with anything that is difficult or time consuming.

Comments

Amber said…
I pretty much can't avoid running hills around here unless I go to one particular path (that I am so sick of running on after marathon training this summer!)

Last week for run clinic we did a hilly tempo run and even though it was HARD while I was doing it it felt SO GOOD at the end :)
Jen Feeny said…
Hills for me are a love/hate relationship. I love how strong and fast they make me, I hate how slow and weak they make me feel. With time comes ease and soon you'll be charging ALL hills like a bad@ss! Keep it up girl!!!
Gracie said…
Hills kill me because I get no hill practice here. I feel it on even a slight incline or short hill. A hilly marathon adds 10 - 20 minutes to my time!
Emily said…
LOVE them. Seriously one of my favorite running workouts!
J said…
Hate hills while I am running them but love them because they really do help you get faster and stronger!
I really, really do not like hills... I know they are a necessary part of training and are so good for you, but they make me feel sort of weak and out of shape no matter how in shape I am because my heart really races... But it is a great feeling to be done with them!
Michelle said…
I find that running (or riding) hills is incredibly satisfying. I gravitate toward hills when I only have the time for a quick workout--I like to pack in as much bang for my buck. Plus, running hills makes your booty look, well, fabulous. Bonus!

I'm SO tempted to sign up for that trail race, too. I wonder how bad it would hurt if I only trained for like 6 weeks.
Gidget said…
I HATE hills but I'm tentatively planning on running a pretty hilly half in the spring, so hill training here I come (as soon as I get over my obnoxious injury)
LOVE hills! I've actually tried to find some around here that compare to what I'm used to doing..and haven't yet. I looove the feeling of powering up a hill and then FLYING once it flattens out b/c the legs keep up the effort :) Your trail racing stories make me excited for Spring, when the snow melts off of these mtns!
lindsey said…
I love running hills. I would rather run a long run on a hills/trails than flat roads!
Meggie said…
love/hate relationship. Where my family lives is super hilly (TN) and when I come back home I'm always bitching about all the hills. When I go back to where I live, everything seems so much easier. And, I think they make me faster.

Popular Posts