My new drink of choice

During these past few long runs (some of which I've run with my friend Michelle), I've found a new favorite sports drink. Long mileage on the trails means my hand held water bottle and shot bloks are a must.

I bought these coconut waters last summer to see what all the fuss was about (a lot of bloggers seemed to be trying the stuff). But for some reason, I never tried them during my marathon training.

The nutritional stats: look at that potassium - no cramping here!

Don't get me wrong, these babies are a bit spendy ($2.49 for the big one, $1.69 for the small), but seeing as how I only use them for my long runs once a week and I do half water, half coconut water, it's not too bad. If you find some on sale at your local grocery, pick one up. The pineapple and pink guava are delish!

And in case you noticed the sunshine peaking through these photos, we Oregonians have been experiencing some GLORIOUS weather. Like high 40s to 50s with no showers in sight.

It made for a pleasant 13+ mile run yesterday morning.

Comments

Amber said…
I've actually never even tried coconut water but I think I'm going to have to! I've seen it on alot of runners blogs and gatorade gets way to sweet for me during long runs!
Gina said…
I love coconut water! When I trained for my marathon, I used to put that in my camelbak instead of sports drinks and I really feel like it made a difference! I would usually pour a small one in, then use water to fill the rest up.
liz said…
I am not partial to coconut water unless it's mixed with rum and served in an actual coconut haha that's what we had in Puerto Rico the Christmas before last, the call them coco pirates!

So I thought the weather was going to be glorious too, but today I heard on the radio that it's going to be bellow freezing?! At night right? I want some sun!!!
Well we here in CO weren't the only ones spoiled with a little Spring in the Winter :)

I tried Coconut water during my Denver RnR training and wasn't too crazy about it - it tasted more "syrupy" than water, and it threw me off. Maybe if I tried some of the other flavors I'd be more into it?
Lindsey said…
Great idea diluting them! I've never tried the flavored ones, but I swear by the plain. Way better than artificial (created in a food lab) sports drinks! I feel like I'm doing my bod a favor when I put one back. I bought a case at TJ's and it came out to less than $1.50 each.

Also, thought you might enjoy this for quick waiting-for-the-cheesy-mac-to-bake yoga practices!

Sunny here in CA too! Yippie!
Lindsey said…
Whoops - forgot the link :-)
http://blog.yogatoday.com/category/light-practice/
Thanks for sharing, Lindsey. It's true that even if you have 10 min, you can fit in a little hip opener or a set of push ups and some abs.
Anonymous said…
Great post. I feel the same way about Coconut Water.

http://thetop7.net/2011/01/27/o-n-e-coconut-water/

Popular Posts