Cranky Pants and Born to Run

Sunday morning, I found myself stressing about a lot of things, mostly money related that we'll have to figure out somehow to afford in the future. On top of that, I made some oatmeal and blogged, getting a late start on my trail run plans.

Every Sunday, the running group meets for a 9am run and then coffee afterward. The group runs the same flat river path or bark trail. I was hoping however, to head to the hills for a hard run and then meet them afterward.

By 9:15 am I was JUST getting dressed so I knew I couldn't follow my plans. The money frustrations and being late, made me pretty upset. I considered meeting up with the group for coffee and then doing my run.

But pushing back my run made me cranky and I was already cranky enough so I knew I wouldn't be a chipper coffee guest. The reason I share all of this is because I know it's helpful for me to get others' perspectives on how they handle certain situations. I hope my story can help others in some way.

This is one where I really fought with myself to make 'the right choice.' The perfectionist in me just couldn't shake that I wasn't able to do EVERYTHING I wanted to that morning, in the order I wanted. Ultimately, I chose to to go on my run, shake off the bad vibes and move on with my day.

It was a hard decision because while I know I need my friends (who are mostly all part of the running group) and to be social, I needed that run more.

During the run, I tried to repeat to myself that I don't have to be perfect and in fact, shouldn't be. I shook off the bad vibes and kicked my own butt with 9 miles of hilly trail. And then, I rewarded myself with an amazingly creamy Americano at a cute little coffee shop, Vero and finally FINISHED Born to Run!

One of my many goals for 2011 is to not dwell on always making the perfect decision, but just enjoy where I am in that moment. I think this was one small lesson in me realizing I need to buck up and understand that I can't do it all and that's okay. In fact, maybe focusing on fewer big things will be more rewarding for me??

My thoughts on Born to Run: When I started this book say 3-4 months ago, I started running more on my forefoot than ever before because it made sense. After all, my current stride clearly wasn't perfect (hello injuries). Running on my forefoot more has been a nice change and my calves have definitely noticed the difference. No problems so far.

I thought it was cool to read about people who were able to run with barely no support because their feet were so strong. It all made sense how Vibrams became so popular - and yes, I'd like to try a pair, but not as my main running shoe.

The ultra running portion of the book was really cool. I loved hearing the history of the Tarahumara people and some of the famous ultras (Badwater 100) and the runners who have dominated those races. All in all, I'd highly recommend this interesting, easy read. And I like the fact that you don't have to be a runner to enjoy it because a lot of it is about the relationships between a group of these runners who come together ultimately for this 50 mile race in Mexico's Copper Canyon.

Have you read any page turners lately? My girlfriends and I are going to do a book exchange this weekend in Cannon Beach so I can find some more books to sit on my bookshelves. ;) Have you successfully dealt your way out of a funk recently?

*And in case you missed it, the Ducks lost to Auburn 22-19. The last 5 minutes of the game were pretty exciting, but otherwise it was kind of lack luster. I'm still completely satisfied with the season. It's not often your team gets to the National Championship. Go Ducks!

Comments

Emily said…
I think that's a great resolution. I do this kind of thing all the time and get really worked up about it when I can't do everything I want to.

Page turners? The Thorn Birds (my mom gave it to me, it was great) also, Pillars of the Earth is excellent. But both are longer, intense reads. The Help was good. The girl with the dragon tat series if you haven't read it yet. So many good ones! Let me know what you guys end up reading.
I was in a major funk on Saturday morning. I got a flat tire on the way home from the gym and just lost it. I called my dad crying and had a total 'woe is me' moment. He was in Chicago so clearly I wasn't expecting him to fix it for me, I just needed to call a man and cry, as lame as that sounds...

On top of the frustration of getting the flat, I was extremely annoyed that I was goign to lose 2 hours of my day - which I had planned out in my head. So I totally know what you mean. I was planning to study for 6 hours and then go to a friend's house for dinner but because of this flat tire, I could only study for 4. I was complaining about it to Amber and then she reminded me that I will make up those 2 hours some other time down the road. This calmed me down immensely..

So I totally know what you mean re: your schedule & perfectionism... I have the same struggles!

I'm glad we both have fun MLK weekends ahead of us! The best page turner I read in 2010 is American Wife. I really liked that book! And if you haven't read "Tuesdays with Morrie" then definitely check that out!

And this is like the longest comment ever...
Emily-thanks for the suggestions. I STILL need to read the girl with the dragon tattoo series.

Lisa- Flat tires are so frustrating! Especially when you don't know how to fix one and it just leaves you feeling helpless. Ugh. Dads always have good advice and I think appreciate hearing from their daughters now and then. I hope you have an awesome weekend. American Wife is definitely on my list of must reads!
liz said…
I think we all have those days, and I can be a bit of a perfectionist too. I think the best way to deal is to be aware of it, and then try really really hard to just forget about it and start anew right that second. Sometimes I have to swallow my pride and admit I'm being a bit cranky, but doing that and changing my attitude really helps afterward.
Anyway I hope you start feeling a bit better soon :)
Amber said…
You know, I have become a lot better at accepting things I can't change. When something out of my control happens and I start to get frustrated/upset I just REMIND myself it's out of my control and I need to let it go. I swear it's all the yoga I've been doing that's helped me be more "zen" about things but I've DEFINITELY had major frustration/stress before since I'm such a perfectionist!

I liked Born to Run a lot too and I really want to get a pair of Vibrams to go for walks in and short (once I build up to it) 3-4 mile runs. I think it would really help strengthen my feet!
Meggie said…
The Help, by Kathryn Stockett.
Anything by Fannie Flagg
Anything by Jodie Picoult (I liked Handle With Care, a lot)
The Kitchen Boy
Rasputin's Daughter

Just read Born to Run, too -- an wish I could run with absolutely no pain. I'm no going barefoot though!
Oh, Sass. If only you knew on how many levels I can relate to this post. I've had a LOT of almost-freak-out moments in the past 6 months; a few meltdowns, and a lot of questioning when/if things were going to work out the way we wanted them to (not relationship-wise, thank goodness. that's all a go :) ). However, luckily I've learned over the years (dealing with my almost-TypeA personality and stubbornness) that as long as I just GO for a run, or walk, or some sort of big/small rush of endorphins, I'll feel a million times better. It's not always about the activity of exercising or sweating or burning off some steam, but mostly just the idea that I'm doing something for ME.

I'm glad you got out for that run, and felt better after you did :) I hope you guys are doing well over there!

If you liked Born to Run, I'd highly recommend Ultramarathon Man, by Dean K. SO SO GOOD.
Haley said…
Way to shake the funk. A good run can usually do that for me. As for books, I have been reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. SO GOOD. It sat on my shelf for a whole year, then I got sick and bord so I started reading it. I'm so glad I did...it's made me rethink my food philosophy and think twice about the things I pick up in the store (even more-so than i did before!). And, there are some great recipes in it!
Thanks all for your comments and book suggestions! It's nice to know I'm not the only one that struggles with trying to be a perfectionist.

Amber-That's awesome you are seeing such positive results from yoga in the form of a zen like attitude! I know when I do more stretching and focusing, it helps me. I need to get my butt to some actual yoga classes in town! It's so hard for me to give up the running.

Heather-Yes, running or just some fresh air can do me a world of good. So it was prob best that I got my run in. :) Hang in there girl.

Popular Posts