Aunt Linda's Coffee Cake

Yesterday, I met up with my family for a belated birthday lunch. One of the things I missed about being away from home for Christmas was my aunt's coffee cake (in addition to seeing my family). Christmas morning we usually have a big brunch at my grandparents' house before opening presents.

I thought you guys might enjoy the recipe.

If you like nuts, the topping of this coffee cake is your heaven. Well, that and the brown sugar. ;)

Favorite Coffee Cake
*adapted from Betty Crocker 1972

Use 8 or 9 inch square or rectangular pan

1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp tsp salt
1/4 cup butter
3/4 cup milk
1 egg

filling/topping:
brown sugar
cinnamon
nuts (hazlenuts, pecans, almonds, etc)

Heat oven to 350 or 375*
Blend all ingredients and beat vigorously
Spread 1/2 in pan
Sprinkle on some of your filling/topping
Spread the rest of batter in pan
Add topping (if used, pat in the nuts so they stick)

*Bake 25-30 minutes until toothpick 1/2 way in is done. Check at 20 min just to be sure. Temp and time may vary based on your oven and the pan size.

Serve warm w/ coffee, tea or milk. Yum.


I also got a Silpat baking mat that I had on my Christmas list from my mom! I can't wait to try it out. It's supposed to be like reusable parchment paper or cooking spray and Jenna swears by them.

Has anyone else used a Silpat baking mat? Happy baking and happy Sunday! I'm itching to get back out on the trails so I may go find myself some mud to run in. We'll see.

Comments

liz said…
Looks like I have everything to make this! Thanks for sharing!
Amber said…
Oh man! That coffee cake looks GOOD!

And I have never heard of that baking mat, sounds interesting!
My Sis has every baking tool in the book, and those mats are awesome!

Looks tasty good :)
My mom & sister-in-law have the silpat and love it!! that coffee cake looks really good. I should try to make something like that this summer at the cabin for my family. I am sure it would be a hit!

Popular Posts